Pre-Purchase Questions

Vision

Hi All, I'm thinking of getting a 2 Star and have questions. It's probably easier to put them in one thread.

The 2 Star is 200lb. Is it designed to be carried by two people? Do the tables on each side act as handles? I'll need to move this off my deck (down 8 stairs) every two years or so and I'm wondering how much of a problem that will be.

Vision

Great. Next...

I believe in free markets so anyone is free to charge what they want. But I don't understand why a probe is $85. I go through probes on a regular basis, all of them fail at some point, some fast. I keep a few as backups and usually pay $10-$15 for one. So why are they so high? Also, can generic probes fit into the Pellet Boss?

skidog

Can only use the MAK probes. Only know this because like you I'm going to purchase a 2 star come the New year and have read every thread about MAK grills on every Forum i have found.
Like you I'm concerned about the price of the probes and the fact their website says not to exceed 350 degrees with them. I realize they have a 1 year warranty but still.

Vision

That could be a deal killer. $255 for 3 probes, the amount I paid for a wsm years ago. Nuts. Hope there is a good answer.

TentHunter

Don't let the probes be a deal breaker!

Go ahead and get the MAK then invest a Maverick ET732 (or something similar). That's what I use, anyway so I can monitor food temps remotely since I don't have the WiFi.

Explorer

Don't let the probes be a deal breaker!

Go ahead and get the MAK then invest a Maverick ET732 (or something similar). That's what I use, anyway so I can monitor food temps remotely since I don't have the WiFi.

I agree. The 2 Star is great! I have been using igrill2 probes for a about a year and they have worked good so far for me. I checked them in a Boston butt along with the MAK probe and they were within a degree.

skidog

Oh I wont be letting the Probes stop my purchase. I considered the Memphis since its local but i feel MAK is right for me. I'll be getting the SSB also. Ever since reading how to make your own bacon! lol
Yup, I was looking at the igrill, Maverick and the new Smoke. Plus I could use those in the oven or whatever.
So the one probe that comes with it would probably be fine. I assume the included one is an M-4 probe as well.
I've got it in the cart on BP website. So far I'm at $4000 plus with the accessories. :eek:

Salmonsmoker

I don't have a MAK yet, but have about 3 Mavericks in a drawer, all still working. I just purchased the "SMOKE". The big attraction was the ease of setup. Setting up a Maverick can be more than a little frustrating. Thermoworks puts out excellent products, one of which is the Thermopen. I have one in the kitchen and another in my home brewery. Check them out before you buy a probe thermo.

skidog

I think those are older videos. When they were developing newer probes. The one they sell now is the fourth generation.

skidog

Based on some threads I've read it seems like MAK still honors the warranty sometimes even after the one year. I know they have excellent customer service.

Big Poppa

Administrator
the problem with probes is that if used with care they will last So hard to warranty something that gets crimped, bent, overheated, in weather...but the biggest killer of probes is water. They dont like water Some people put them in the dishwasher and they fail guaranteed.
THere is no perfect probe....MAK could offer a $3 probe and it would fail nonstop......the $85 dollar probe is more like an industrail grade probe.

skidog

Hey Big Poppa. Thanks for the comments. I think what I'm going to do is get one additional probe just in case. Then order a Maverick or some other stand alone device, that way i can use it for other things. I'll have the extra probe in case of failure i can still use the PB to make adjustments based on temp of meat.
I'll be ordering through your website when i'm ready. I'll have a few more questions before i order but I'll call or email you guys when the time comes.

If you don't have the wifi. I like the tapecue system. It has 4 probes and you can use your phone with it. Its about $200. Pretty reasonable for all that it does.

MAK DADDY

1) The reason they cost so much is because they are made in the USA not China. We don't make a killing selling probes in fact its quite the opposite.

2) We are just as interested as you to get them to last forever, unfortunately they are exposed to a lot of harsh conditions like BP stated. Which is why we recommend using them for what they are intended (low and slow) BBQ, not grilling.

3) We have redesigned them with the manufacture multiple times to make them as bullet proof as possible, that's why we only sell the latest version M4. The probes you see in other videos are old versions we were not happy with so we redesigned and discontinued them.

4) These probes are thermistors and there is a big variety of resistance in all brands so we cant say if any specific brand will work in your pellet boss or not. We have these M4 probes made specifically for us, they are not an off the shelf item.

5) As always we are continually improving our products and take care of our customers along the way :)

Vision

1. What's the best way to understand the differences between the 1 and 2 star for 2016? Am concerned I'm missing something.

On the 1 star: same pellet boss, no pellet dump, same cooking area, same built in shelf, different exterior/sides/box...functionally, cooking wise what is different? Same cleanup?

2. Are any changes coming for 2017?

SmokinKat

Hey Vision-- there are three major differences between the 1 Star and 2 Star:

#1-- the 2 Star body/lid is all 304 Stainless steel. The 1 Star body is made out of aluminized steel (steel with a layer of aluminum grafted on top), with a high temp powder coating over that. The 2 Star does have some exterior parts that are the same aluminized steel/powder coated combo.

#2-- the 2 Star comes stock with the FlameZone set up, which is what allows you to sear foods with direct heat. The 1 Star has a blank pan that is just for indirect cooking. The grills will both reach 450°+, but the 2 Star comes with the FlameZone which allows you to do both direct and indirect cooking. There will be a FlameZone kit available for the 1 Star as an accessory in the near future, somewhere in the $400 range.

#3 -- the 2 Star has the warmer/smoker box, where you can cold smoke (under 100°), or keep foods at a safe serving temperature while you're grilling.

Both grills have 304 stainless interior components, and are the same cooking surface size. (The ignition system, grates, fan, auger and control board are all identical on both models.) The 2016 1 Stars (most current version) now do have a pellet dump chute that comes standard. Cleanup would be similar for the interior components, and for the exteriors, you just have to make sure to use cleaners that won't damage the powder coating.

Hope that helps compare the two-- let us know if you've got any more specific questions between the two!

Top Bottom