Pre-Purchase Questions

Vision

One of the things I like about grease running outside to a pail is that cleanup can be a breeze using a glass jar in the pail.

With the Mak's internal grease drawer, how do you keep cleanup from being overly messy?

SmokinKat

Hi Vision-- we've made the new grease drawer just the right size to fit a mini-loaf pan, which you can find in the baking section of almost any grocery store. Or for a lower cost option, we also have customers who line the drawer with a couple of layers of heavy duty foil, so after the grill cools off, they can just dump the whole mess into the trash bin.

The big reason for going away from the external bucket (that nicely housed a glass jar) was that many customers had pets or kids that would get into the bucket and make a mess. I know my beagles came into the house smelling of bacon grease more than a couple times when I had the external bucket style. :)

--Kat

Vision

Think I'm going with a 1 Star with wifi.

What's everyone's opinion on adding the front shelf? Or anything else?

TentHunter

Definitely get either a 3/4 or full upper track, and I love the griddle. With those two options you will greatly increase the versatility.

SmokinKat

Shelf preference really depends on what you'll be cooking-- the one downside to the full upper grate is that it's somewhat difficult to reach the back of the grill on the bottom. So if you're doing mostly low and slow things like pork butts, where you won't have to be moving them much at all, it might be a great fit and give you the most square inches. However, if you're doing things that you're going to be flipping, turning, etc. the three quarter allows for a little more room to reach the back of the grill on the main cooking grates, while still giving you plenty of extra surface.

SmokinKat

The current 1 Star model is 14" from the main cooking grate to the top of the chamber.

With the shelf installed, it's 6" from the main grate to the upper, and 8" from the upper to the top of the grill.

SmokeMaster

Shelf preference really depends on what you'll be cooking-- the one downside to the full upper grate is that it's somewhat difficult to reach the back of the grill on the bottom. So if you're doing mostly low and slow things like pork butts, where you won't have to be moving them much at all, it might be a great fit and give you the most square inches. However, if you're doing things that you're going to be flipping, turning, etc. the three quarter allows for a little more room to reach the back of the grill on the main cooking grates, while still giving you plenty of extra surface.

This is the reason that I got the 3/4 shelf for my 1 Star. It's definitely a must have accessory as it will give you the added real estate to simultaneously cook much more food.

SmokeMaster

Definitely get either a 3/4 or full upper track, and I love the griddle. With those two options you will greatly increase the versatility.

@TentHunter I also have a 1 Star & I'm thinking about buying the griddle. The product description for the universal griddle on Big Poppa's site says that it is designed to fit over the Flame Zone section of the grill. Since the 1 Star doesn't have the Flame Zone, I'm worried that the griddle won't stay hot enough especially when you are constantly opening the lid to flip pancakes, eggs, sausages, etc. Does the griddle temperature stay at a hot enough temp to be effective?

SmokinKat

Hi SmokeMaster-- we've got lots of 1 Star customers who use their griddles without the FlameZone regularly. The griddle is made of aluminum that's been impregnated with Teflon, so the griddle will retain heat well, despite the lid being opened and closed.

And since for breakfast foods, you're not using the griddle at screaming hot temperatures anyway, if you do find your pancakes are taking a little longer than expected, you can always bump the grill up 15 degrees to help move things along a little faster.

I have a 2 Star griddle, but I almost always use it with the FlameZone covered, which would be a very similar situation to the 1 Star set up (indirect cooking). I'll typically cook eggs on it while I cook bacon on the other grates, and haven't had any issues.

Top Bottom