Question about St Louis Spareribs

Mayn

Got a question. When I get my St. Louis ribs one rib out of 3 from Costco usually has a strip of bone or something connecting several of the rib bones. Wife hates it. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ducaticraig

Got a question. When I get my St. Louis ribs one rib out of 3 from Costco usually has a strip of bone or something connecting several of the rib bones. Wife hates it. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I always smoke babyback ribs to avoid the strip of bone connecting several of the rib bones. I hear many people really like St Louis Ribs more than B backs but you just have to deal with that miserable strip of bone. Go babyback if you want an easy way out.

Chili Head

Newbie question on St. Louis ribs

I rarely cook ribs longer than 4 to 4 and 1/2 hours. Spares or baby backs it don't matter. Two hours at 250 then around 45 minutes to an hour in foil then about an hour to set them up after the foil stage. Don't go by time only..you gotta test them with a tooth pick because they won't always be done at the same times every time.

TrickyDick

Mmmm. Ribs! I was going to cook some Monday, but looks like, I need to postpone to Thursday or Saturday/Sunday. Not to HiJack, but in the Sam's Vac Pack (Bought on prior Sunday) Should I throw in the Freezer or safe to cook as long as Sunday (1 week) sitting in fridge in cryo-bag?

I bought baby backs - 4 slabs in one pack. Going to try a variety of rubs and sauces hopefully.

Thanks!

TD

TentHunter

Ducaticraig said:
I hear many people really like St Louis Ribs more than B backs but you just have to deal with that miserable strip of bone.

Don't let that bone fool you. Be the bone... Conquer the bone... :D :rolleyes:

Actually it's a whole lot easier to remove than you'd think, and with nothing more than a sharp knife.

The rib bones attached to it are very soft, and more cartilage-like than bone-like. A sharp knife cuts right through with no problem.
RIBTRIM5.JPG

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/hall-fame-recipes-22/how-trim-st-louis-style-spare-ribs-2264/

P.S. Removing the membrane is the hardest part, and even Baby Backs have a membrane.

Big Poppa

Administrator
costco is selling pre trimmed st louis...The membrane has gotten very easy for me I use my fingernails and sort or scratch at the edge and the membrane starts to roll up and you grab it with a paper towel and done baby

Top Bottom