Question from a first time venison cook.

Kevin Arsenault

Well, two questions really. First, I will be working with venison soon and I was wondering if there were any hints out there. I'm thinking of using cherry-wood at 275? Is this too low?
I've also heard on, I think it was the show Master-chef, that you need to let venison 'rest' for the same amount of time you cook it. Is there any truth to this?

The other question I had, was regarding a red wine reduction that I wanted to do with the venison.
Do you think a reduction could work well? Would it be better to work with a fruit reduction sauce?
Also is it possible to do with a Treger? I was thinking of just taking the stuff that comes off the drip pan.. but that seems like it could end badly...

Well I hope to be able to post this to the competition this weekend! ...Unfortunately I have not made anything I was really proud of for a while, so that's why I haven't been around for a month or so.

squirtthecat

Venison is very lean... Think of using something like an eye of round beef, or a pork loin. You don't want to cook it for too long, but you want it to go long enough to get a nice smoke flavor.

Don't use anything off of the drip pan.. If you want to get some drippings, try to elevate the meat on a 2nd rack (perhaps a Bradley rack ;)) above a smaller pan to catch them. Some bricks or empty b**r/soda cans could help with that.

I've never heard about the rest time = cook time.

What cut of meat are you thinking about using?

ACW3

I have cooked both venison and elk tenderloin. Just like a beef tenderloin, I cook them at a high heat and cook them to a rare/medium rare finish. They will toughen up if you cook them much past medium rare. A nice red wine reduction would work nicely. I'd probably opt for a Merlot for a reduction. The heavier taste of the Merlot vs a Cab or Pinot Noir would be my preference. Cut into thin slices/medallions and serve on some plated sauce.

What are you going to serve with them? Garlic mashed potatoes and green beans or asparagras would make a nice combination. Just my thoughts. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Art

Greg

If the tenderloins are already sliced (we call them chops in Wisonsin) I would marinade them and grill them over a hot charcoal fire to a rare state. I don't think a pellet grill has enough direct heat to do this great piece of meat justice. If they are whole, season and wrap in bacon and cook them on high heat in your pellet grill. As far as resting I would cut and eat as soon as possible as there is very little fat in this cut of meat. Either way you have one of my favorite cuts of meat around. Enjoy.

Deb

They are whole, I looked at them last night and the venison is probably about 3/4 lb, the elk probably 1 1/2 lbs.

Last edited:

Deb

Deb/Kevin, I did a Canadian Bacon (with a Pastrami rub spin) on a venison tenderloin. Turned out really nice.

I remember that, that looked really good. I will have to teach Kev how to cure , I haven't done canadian bacon for a long time.

Top Bottom