Reheating Pork for pulling

Buffalotom

Last weekend we smoked two butts. One was pulled and one was put in the fridge. Now we want to pull the second one. Would you reccomend bringing up to 200+ and then pulling or pull and chop while cold and then heating it? Thanks in advance.

TentHunter

Yep, It's much easier pulling pork while it's still piping hot & Pulled Pork reheats very well.

I bet Squirt can answer this best,he cooks a lot of shoulders for later use.

But... I believe I'd cut it into a couple pieces, put them inside plastic zipper bags (or even vac pack them) and simmer them in gently boiling water so you don't dry it out or turn it to mush.

Tatonka3A2

I wonder if you could put it in an oven bag and in the oven on real low? I have never done it though. Hopefully someone has some experience doing this.

squirtthecat

I pull them first, but I did give a whole one (fresh out of the smoker) to a friend once. He tossed it in the fridge, and his wife took an electric knife that night and 'carved' it into thin slices before reheating. More like 'shaved' pork, but he said it worked well.

jimsbarbecue

I would also suggest pulling first before freezing. We put ours in the vacuum style bags. I found if it is evenly loaded in the bag ,where it is around 2 inches thick. So it resemble the shape of a text book. This shape heats up easily in a pot of hot water. In the bag or course.

scooter

After spending an entire week in the fridge, you'll be mostly performing CPR on that pork. BBQ has a shelf life in the fridge and 4 or 5 days is about the limit for the ladies in my house. I have to agree with them. After a week sitting in the fridge, I'd toss it and smoke another. Pork is pretty cheap unless it was kurobuta. Life is too short to eat bad BBQ, or too short to eat old BBQ! ;)
It would make an interesting experiment but no one in my house would want to eat it. You'll definitely need to reintroduce moisture after that long of time in the fridge. You'll need a liquid and I have a great one but can't access it right now. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post it later.

Last edited:

scooter

Here ya go Tom

Found this technique in my Low & Slow BBQ book by Gary Wiviott. Tried it and it works great for warming up left over pulled pork but I've not tried it on week old pork so will be interested to hear your results.

Reheating liquid - 1 Cup
3/4 CP apple juice
1/4 CP cider vinegar
3/4 TSP kosher salt
1/2 TSP ground black pepper
1/4 TSP ground red pepper (my addition)
1/2 TSP brown sugar (my addition)

Use 1/4 CP reheating liquid per pound of pulled pork to be reheated.

Preheat oven to 300*
Put pork in a foil pouch
Add liquid and toss the pork with the reheating liquid
Seal the foil pouch and heat for 10-15 mins then check for desired temp.

Top Bottom