Ribeye Roast hmmmmm?

jimsbarbecue

Long cooking times are usually for tougher cuts of meat. The aged rib eye may not have the results when cooked like you would a brisket. If you did try you would have to be ready to accept complete failure. We cook TriTip like brisket and it kills Scooter to see this done. That said a lovely age Rib eye, We would choose a slow smoke until the internal temp is 120º and no higher. Take it off the cooker and foil (sometimes just a tent of foil) insert a thermometer and do not slice until 5 minutes after the temp goes down.

TentHunter

Would it be wrong to cook a lovely aged ribeye roast like a brisket?

I think I just heard scooter wince in pain at your question! ;)

I guess it would work, but If I wanted beef done like that I'd get a brisket, chuck or could even be in support of cooking a tri-tip brisket style (everybody I know who's done this says if you like sliced brisket flat -which I don't - then you'll love "Trisket").

BUT it's your roast. If you do try it, PLEASE take lots of photos and post your results either way. You could start a new trend or you could show us exactly how not to cook a ribeye roast! :)

Thanks for the tips/advice. The notion of Pulled Ribeye (instead of Prime Rib) was swimming around in my brain. Has anyone ever tried it or can it achieved?

scooter

Would it be "wrong" to experiment with overcooking a rib roast brisket style? Not really if it's something you're curious about and don't mind the cost of the experiment. Would it be "wrong" to experiment that same way with an "aged" rib roast, well, maybe not so much "wrong" as it would be a waste of lovely aged beef.
FYI, pulling your slow smoked rib roast at 120 will produce a very rare rib roast if that's the way you like it.

And Jim would be right, I couldn't watch it happening... :)

Last edited:
lol scooter…thank you all for your input. Check out pics of the cook in the gallery section. Turned out very tasty, juicy and very tender =)

Top Bottom