Rub 'n Wrap or Rub 'n Cook?

ht01us

I was meandering through Costco this morning when I saw St. Louis Cut ribs. I thought to myself "Self! it's been too long since you've cooked some ribs. Get ON it." So I did.

Normally I oil and rub my ribs then wrap in plastic wrap overnight. I'm wondering what the difference would be if I just rubbed and slapped 'em on the Mak. It was but the work of a moment to do a quick search for "Sparky ribs". The search was quick; the reading was not. :) I was pretty sure Sparky is a rub 'n cook guy and the search proved me right. If it's good enough for Sparky, it's good enough for me.

I'm interested in feedback from folks who have tried both ways...

The plan. rub and let come to room temperature while waiting for the Mak to come up to temp. Cook at 275* with a water pan; maybe spritz a couple of times but no foil. Then put on some sauce and raise the grill temp until they set.

Oh, there will be pictures. I got a new camera

CMack1

I usually like to rub the day before cooking but there have been several occasions that I didn't have the time and went straight from rubbing to cooking. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference.

RickB

I was meandering through Costco this morning when I saw St. Louis Cut ribs. I thought to myself "Self! it's been too long since you've cooked some ribs. Get ON it." So I did.

Normally I oil and rub my ribs then wrap in plastic wrap overnight. I'm wondering what the difference would be if I just rubbed and slapped 'em on the Mak. It was but the work of a moment to do a quick search for "Sparky ribs". The search was quick; the reading was not. :) I was pretty sure Sparky is a rub 'n cook guy and the search proved me right. If it's good enough for Sparky, it's good enough for me.

I'm interested in feedback from folks who have tried both ways...

The plan. rub and let come to room temperature while waiting for the Mak to come up to temp. Cook at 275* with a water pan; maybe spritz a couple of times but no foil. Then put on some sauce and raise the grill temp until they set.

Oh, there will be pictures. I got a new camera

Rub and cook. Done it both ways with and without foil. Rub over night overpowers the ribs. You might want to reconsider the foil. Cuts cook time, pellet use, keeps ribs moist and adds another layer of flavor. IMO. Take out of foil 30 minutes before done and sauce. Back on the mak till sauce is set.

ht01us

Thanks guys! Hmm I haven't foiled in a while (lazy I guess). Do you foil the whole time except for the end? How about cook for a couple hours then foil for an hour then sauce and set?

sparky

2 hours on @ 275° > foil w/ FL back on for 1 hour > unwrap and pour FL juice back on. 30 - 45 minutes done. if you just going to sauce them put on at same temp for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. sauce at end of cook for last 30 minutes or so. toothpick test works everytime. :)

cowdog

I have not done this yet either, but with much reading I know FL sauce is the juices remaining in the foil when you unwrap. I can't wait til my new MAK gets here so I can try Sparky's method as well. Ribs may be my first cook.

sparky

FL = 2 layers of foil > 1 tbs butter cut up in 4 pieces put on meat side of ribs > handful of brown sugar sprinked over ribs > drizzle honey over all that. in that order. fold up twice and put back on for 1 hour meat side down. careful, FL juice is hot when you take it off. unwrap and put back on meat side up. take FL juice and pour back over the ribs. yummmmmm....

ht01us

FL = 2 layers of foil > 1 tbs butter cut up in 4 pieces put on meat side of ribs > handful of brown sugar sprinked over ribs > drizzle honey over all that. in that order. fold up twice and put back on for 1 hour meat side down. careful, FL juice is hot when you take it off. unwrap and put back on meat side up. take FL juice and pour back over the ribs. yummmmmm....

Perfect! Thanks.
I may have to start calling you Yoda.

ht01us

I have not done this yet either, but with much reading I know FL sauce is the juices remaining in the foil when you unwrap. I can't wait til my new MAK gets here so I can try Sparky's method as well. Ribs may be my first cook.

A wise choice!

Top Bottom