Scooter this is how I cook thighs for the Fam

Darwin00537

Not sure this really belongs here, because, *COUGH*, ahem, I cooked these on a Hasty Bake...

Pellets were sitting a few feet away from the grill though and may somehow have had an influence.

Anyhoo, tonight's cook was chicken thighs. Honestly I can't remember the last time I cooked a chicken thigh that wasn't connected to a whole bird but I've been wanting to try them out for a while as I have a neighbor and fellow Q head who says they're his favorite part of the bird (Mine is bone in split breast).

I rubbed the chicken in Little Louie's. After 15 minutes I spritzed with Moores Original Marinade then it was just a relaxing wait with a beer while the coals got up to temp.

Once coals were on I set the charcoal box at the "Bake" level and let it heat up to 400. Threw the chicken on and cooked for 28 minutes, turning every now and then. I spritzed Moores on the bottom, non skin side of the chicken, once during this time. The goal with turning was to let the chicken cook mostly bottom down, but having the skin down enough to get crispy from the radiant heat from the coals, and some of the fat rendered out. Chicken came off at 170F internal. I think it was a success, PICS!

Little Louie's being applied. First time I've used this rub. I am now a BIG FAN

Moores spritzed

On for the cook

Half way through. The skin is rendering/crisping nicely

Just off the grill money shot

Juicy! At first glance at the bottle I thought Little Louie's could use more pepper in the mix, but after seeing(and tasting) the final results I appreciate how the somewhat large granular size of the pepper flakes stand out in the presentation and taste

Wife is back in town so finally had some decent sides. Tomato with Buffalo Mozarella and Pureed Cauliflower with Parmesan and Garlic

My number one critic rated the final result as Awesome, which is one level below the highest possible rating of Phenomenal. I asked what I could do to make it better though and she just said I'm not sure but bet you can make it happen. *sigh*

Last edited:

TentHunter

The chicken looks AWESOME!!! That's the kind of skin I like to get on chicken.

Great write up on the exact technique you used. No worries about this being cooked on a Hasty Bake, this can easily be adapt to a pellet grill.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
just toss a hand full of pellets into the hasty bake thats what I do...I love my hasty bake I have the same one as you do

TentHunter

just toss a hand full of pellets into the hasty bake thats what I do...I love my hasty bake I have the same one as you do

Indeed. Problem solved!

Another option that works really well is to throw a good handful of pellets into a foil pouch, seal it, poke a single small hole in it (just one) and toss it onto the coals. That little pouch will become a little smoke pump producing a lot of clean smoke for a good 30 - 45 minutes. Give it a try sometime.

Darwin00537

Another option that works really well is to throw a good handful of pellets into a foil pouch, seal it, poke a single small hole in it (just one) and toss it onto the coals. That little pouch will become a little smoke pump producing a lot of clean smoke for a good 30 - 45 minutes. Give it a try sometime.

I have a Mo's Smoking pouch. I'll use that next time. Thanks this reminded me I had one!

Darwin00537

Another "phenomenal" post. Like all of your post have been this one is 1st rate

Thanks !

Thanks Hank. I feel like I was cheated out of the Phenomenal rating last night. She stood there for quite a while and couldn't think of anything that would have improved it. Sometimes ya just can't win. lol

sorge57

I got a kick out of the pan you used........I have one just like it I use on everything......same stains and all lol

scooter

I'd grab a piece of that before I'd grab a piece of comp chicken any day!! Very nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom