Selling To Restaurants

Carter13

Now that I have more capacity with my 1 Star I am kicking around the idea of trying to sell pulled pork to restaurants. There is a pizza joint and a bar and grill a few miles from my house. I am not sure if it will take off but I figured what do I have to lose.
I don't want to cater and thought this might be a cool way to make a few bucks.
I figure my cost is roughly $4.50 to 5 bucks per pound for finished product.
What do you folks think?

squirtthecat

I do this with the office cafeteria every now and then, but it is more of a 'barter'. No money changes hands. (as I am not licensed to do this)

HoDeDo

In order to do that, you would need to have a licensed commissary (at a minimum), Or do all the cooking onsite so that you are essentially using their facilities as your approved area. You would also want to get an umbrella policy to protect you should someone happen to get sick. Insurance is cheap, so get plenty. Anytime you are dealing with the public, you want to be insured.

Your fines could outstrip your earnings... if the health dept. in your area is active. Most food establishments dont want the risk, so you would likely have to cook onsite. Trying to do something commercially, is a totally different ball of wax.

sparky

In order to do that, you would need to have a licensed commissary (at a minimum), Or do all the cooking onsite so that you are essentially using their facilities as your approved area. You would also want to get an umbrella policy to protect you should someone happen to get sick. Insurance is cheap, so get plenty. Anytime you are dealing with the public, you want to be insured.

Your fines could outstrip your earnings... if the health dept. in your area is active. Most food establishments dont want the risk, so you would likely have to cook onsite. Trying to do something commercially, is a totally different ball of wax.

this is all true. when i was cooking ribs and chicken for some butchers i use a commisary. you can not store, cook or prepare food from your home if you are selling it to the public. no way around this. commisaries here charge $30 hour to use their facilities. i had to get my catering, business license and food handling certificates before i could start. thank you dear for getting my stuff together. i am a one man show. Sparky's Smokin BBQ inc.

Last edited:

DolphinLvr

Thanks for the info. I figured there would be some hurdles. Probably not worth it but it sounded somewhat fun.

I had the same Idea as well Carter. People have even suggested it to me, but I figure it would be a huge PITA.

Congrats on your MAK! I am absolutely loving my 2 Star!

Top Bottom