Smoked chicken on the MAK!

M in MAK

Was going to butterfly but I decided to just do halves. :cool: Used MAK bird rub. Smoked for an hour then up to 400* until the breast meat hit 165* IT.
It tasted so good!
Whats your guys favorite way to cook chicken on your MAK?

IMG_7633Edited_zpsa63b2441.jpg

IMG_7635Edited_zps68cd05d9.jpg

IMG_7638Edited_zps857a2629.jpg

Pappymn

Nice cook. I agree with squirt. Pull at 160 degrees in the breast. During the rest period carryover heat will bring you to 165 degrees.

MAK DADDY

Thanks Dad. I cleaned it last night before the cook. lol. Whats your favorite way to cook chicken on your MAK!

Whole bird, breast up, garlic olive oil and MAK Chipotle Rub, straight up 400 degrees for approx hour (IT 165).
There is a great butter creole injection at safeway I use sometimes, it even comes with the injector.

TentHunter

Nice job Matt. That chicken looks gorgeous and moist.

I tend to spatchcock, season, and put the leg quarters to the left side of the MAK since it runs slightly hotter. When the breast gets to around 160° I start watching and pull it as soon as it hits 165°. The leg quarters are usually a good 8 - 10° hotter so by time the carryover heat takes it up another 5° They are perfect and the breast is still moist beyond belief.

Ironically, I've been cooking chickens a little hotter these days (375°-400°) much like you did. It just seems to give me a much better skin.

Cliff

jimsbarbecue

400 start to finish. The beauty of the MAK is easy week day cooks when time is a factor. I have done the one hour smoke then bump like you did M . During the week it just doubles the cook time.

So Cal Smoker

I spatchcock, rub down with garlic evoo, salt, pepper, and sprinkle with Sauce Goddess Sweet Heat. On the MAK at 275 till 160 than let rest. We don't eat the skin so not interested in crisping it up.

Last edited:

So Cal Smoker

Sorry Wolverines, bad grammar on my part. When you spatchcock a chicken you're cutting the back bone out flatting the bird. The chicken cooks faster and I believe retains more moisture. I think it's the best way to cook a chicken. If you do a search for "Spatchcock", BP has a video on how to spatchcock a chicken I think you would find very helpful. Good luck and good smoking.

M in MAK

Thanks for all the replies! There sure is a lot of fantastic ways to cook spatchcock chicken in this thread. I think i'll try out everyone of them! I know my roomates will be happy. lol. :D

Moomtaz

I tend to cook beercan style, but I have been wanting to spatchcock for some time. You may have motivated me for the next time

Top Bottom