Smoked ribs; how best to store for 5 days?

Canyonier

Hi,
In about 10 days we'll leave with our trailer and go to Quartzsite for a few days where we'll camp with 10 to 14 friends for a few days. We take turns providing main meals. For our meal, I plan to take 4 slabs of pork spareribs that I will smoke the day before we leave home. (We will also take BBQ beans and coleslaw.)
We will leave home on a Sunday and will serve our BBQ dinner on Thursday. Thus, it will be 5 days after I smoke them (on Saturday) until we eat them.
My questions to you are:
1. Should I slice the ribs when I take them off the smoker, put them in a ziplock bag and freeze them?
2. Same question except refrigerate them instead of freezing them? Is 5 days too long to store?
3. Should I leave the slabs intact until just before serving?
4. Does it make a difference?
5. For reheating, how would you do it? What temp and how long?
Thanks,
Glenn

jimsbarbecue

What we did last year for the Stagecoach Music Festival was to vac seal half racks and then reheat in hot water while still in the bag. When reheated we sliced and added a little sauce. We did freeze the ribs.

scooter

For 5 days, I would do what Jim said using the vacuseal bags. Only difference is in the reheating. I would remove them from the bags, sauce them then throw them over a grill (or even a campfire grate) for a few minutes to reheat and carmelize the sauce a bit then slice and eat.

chaz345

Freezing shouldn't be necessary for 5 days, especially if you get them sealed up right off the grill. For reheating purposes I'd leave them whole so they will dry out less. Best way to reheat would be to boil in vac seal bags then a quick time(5 minutes per side or less) on a grill to (re)set the sauce/glaze.

Top Bottom