Smokin Chuck with a Mexican Flair

Buffalotom

Now that the contest is out of the way, I have a question. I am smoking a couple of chuck roasts this weekend for a potluck. The theme is Mexican Food. What kind of Mexican rubs would work for this?
I was in Sedona, AZ last week and stopped at an olive oil store downtown. They gave me a sample of some Garlic and cilantro infused balsamic vineger. Wow, I cannot wait to use this as the glue for the rub.

squirtthecat

Salt/Pepper/Garlic/Cumin.

Cook them down and shred with a bunch of onions/peppers/black beans... DIY tortilla fillers.

Dang, now I'm really hungry.

CMack1

This may be cheating, but I ran across a big container of fajita seasoning (can't think of the brand off hand) while looking for taco seasoning. After using it I remember thinking it would make a good rub for pulled beef.....

TentHunter

Squirt's spice suggestion is right on for a Mexican flavor. Cumin is a predominant flavor in Taco & Fajita mixes & most brands of Chili Powder.

My Mexican style rub is very similar. It has: Paprika, Chili Powder (which has Cumin), Onion Powder, & a little Garlic powder, Salt & Pepper. A little Mexican Oregano would be a nice touch too (if you have or can find it).

Smoking Guns "Gun Powder" also has a definite Cumin overtone and would also work well.

That Garlic & Cilantro infused Balsamic sounds like it'd make a great glue!

Top Bottom