• If you are a registered member of the PelletSmoking.com Forums and you are having trouble logging in, first try asking for a password reset on the login form. That should send a verification email to your registered email account. If you don't see it within 5-15 minutes, check your spam/junk folder. If you still can't log in, please use our Contact Form to send details and obtain assistance from staff. Once you are logged in, make sure that the "Stay logged in" box is checked so your session doesn't time out until you manually log out.

Smoking Beef Roasts?

onionhead

I am seeking help from the many experts on this site. Our family raises Natural Beef, and we get our beef in whole or 1/2 beef. As you may expect we get a lot of roasts, and I would like to smoke/grill these for the family. I have done a lot of briskets, steaks, tri-tip on my MAK and we love it. I am trying this: Do a dry rub of worchestershire sauce, EVOO, mustard with Montreal Steak Seasoning. I will smoke for three hours and up temp. to 275*. I will remove at IT of 145* and rest for at least 1/2 hour. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

TentHunter

Remember, the internal temp is going to rise a good 10° after you take it off, so pulling it at 145° will yield a final I.T. of around 155° give or take a couple of degrees. So... if you want it to be Medium-Well, then your game plan of pulling it off at 145° is good.

If you want it to be more rare, pull it off at around 120°ish. For Med-Rare around 130°ish. Of course, adjust it to your liking.

I usually pull roasts off at 132° - 135° and it will rise usually up to around 144°ish for the upper end of medium rare to medium, and our family seems to like it that way.

Again, that's neither right nor wrong, just a preference on how well you like it cooked.

As far as seasoning, your game plan looks good. If you're using mustard, then I don't know if the EVOO is even needed. The mustard will work great as a glue for your seasonings (I use brown mustard a lot on beef roasts). Just remember that the only seasoning it will get is on the outside, so I tend to salt roasts a little heavier than I might other cuts of meat.

Be sure to get some pics to show us of how it turns out!

Top Bottom