smoking procedure

nightperson

right now i have an MES30 with an amazin pellet tray. When i cook i stop my smoke at 165.

With a mak how do you do this or whats the procedure? i saw there was a smoke setting and as the temp increases less smoke is produced. If im looking for 225 the entire time does that still produce smoke?

TentHunter

Like scooter said, yes at 225° there is plenty of smoke.

With a MAK, just remember that 245° is the magic number. Anything at 245° and below, the fan is running at a reduced speed so more smoke is produced. At 250° and up the fan kicks into a higher speed.

nightperson

so the only way to stop the smoke is raise the temp? what are the temp stages you use when you do a butt? you give smoke the entire cook time?

TentHunter

You will never totally stop the smoke when you are using wood as a fuel source. It just can't happen. But keep in mind that with a Pellet grill the smoke is a very clean, delicate smoke; not a dirty or heavy smoke.

That's one of the beauties of pellet grills. You get that coveted blueish gray smoke that enhances the flavor without overwhelming it, so you don't have to worry about over smoking your meat.

What I like is that I can cold-smoke on my MAK using a A-Maze-n pellet tube, when I want a deeper smoke for sausage, bacon, etc., or just hot-smoke it (in smoke mode) for a lighter, but still good smoke profile.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

scooter

For a pork butt I like to cook at 250F then at around 165IT I usually wrap the meat which stops the smoke and preserves the color.

PappyFatcap

I'm doing my first shoulder on my 1-Star this weekend. I was planning to do smoke mode @ 175 for 1 hour, then @ 225 for the remaining duration of the cook. Does this sound in line with what you guys would do?

Top Bottom