Smoking salmon on a MAK

DolphinLvr

With the 2 star set to smoke and the salmon in the warming tray, how long would you smoke the salmon for?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sparky

thats a good question. when the mak is set to smoke what is temp of warming drawer? my daughter just bought 2 salmon filets from costco. do i have to brine them first? i hope not. were cooking them tomorrow.

DolphinLvr

Depending on the temp outside, I would think in the northwest here it would be around 90-100

ACW3

If you are cold smoking in the smoker tray, you may need to put a loaf pan filled with ice to keep the temps down to 80 or less in the tray. Depending on the outside temp you may have to change the ice pan several times. If you are hot smoking the fish, you won't need the ice pan. Check your temps of the fish with something like the Thermopen to the desired doneness.

Art

PS. I have cold smoked a lot of steelhead trout. I have been using the Alton Brown dry brining method with great success. It takes several days to let the dry brine "pull" most of the moisture out of the fish.

DolphinLvr

Thanks Art for the advice! I just put the Salmon on, but have no way of telling what the temp is in the warming box, so I will go ahead and put the Ice in to keep the temps down!

do uou have an idea as to how long to smoke for?

ACW3

Do you have any kind of thermometer you can put in the smoker box? My oven thermometer only registers at 100 degrees to start. If it reads that, it's too hot. The ice pan should take care of that. If you have a Thermopen, it will read the ambient temp in the box when you first open the lid.

I'd probably give it at least two hours on smoke. It is kind of a judgement call based on outside temps and, to a certain degree, what flavor pellets you are using, and experience. The size of the pieces of fish also have an impact on how long. I typically smoke two fillets of about two pounds each for about two to three hours. The colder it is outside, the longer I can smoke it because the smoke temps will be much lower. Fruitwood pellets impart a less harsh smoke on fish, thus you can smoke it a bit longer than say a hickory flavored pellet.

Good luck, and keep us all posted.

Art

DolphinLvr

Thanks Art!

I did put in the loaf pan full of Ice and will use my Thermopen to check out the temp of the box. I am using a mixture of Alder and Apple pellets

sparky

ok, so can i just put the 2 filets in the warming drawer w/ some desert gold on them and set the mak 2 star to smoke? 3 or so hours more or less? just took the salmon out of the frig.

DolphinLvr

I sliced the salmon last night and put in a brine, covered and put into fridge overnight. Then put in the warming tray with the pellet boss set to smoke. I also put in a loaf pan filled with ice to keep the temp low as Art suggested.

Not sure as to how long I will smoke yet

TentHunter

do i have to brine them first?

If you're hot-smoking to cook them, no need to brine.

Cold-smoking is different. IMO, If you're cold-smoking them for hours, then it's definitely a good idea to dry-brine/cure them a bit first (like Art mentioned) with a mix that includes #1 curing salt (Contains 6.25% sodium nitrite - use 1/8 to 1/5 tsp. per lb). Remember, a cold-smoke environment creates the perfect breading environment for botulism.

The other option is after cold smoking be sure to take them up to a temperature above 150° to kill any bacteria present and dry them a bit.

Top Bottom