So many choices..how to choose

CarterQ

The entry level MAK and Memphis lines are a pretty good value when you factor in materials, build quality, and features. What you need in a cooker really depends on how you plan to use it and what you like to cook and how often.

Techy

I was going through the same thing and after some help from people on here and the Memphis Grills manufacturer I went with the memphis select. I'm thinking it will ship this week as I ordered it on Thursday. I too had a budget and I liked the Mak 2 star and memphis pro but ws out of my range for now. It came down to what I wanted in a build and although the Mak 1 had a feature I liked(Pellet Boss) I liked the Stainless on the Memphis for longevity so that really was the deciding factor for me. I also had the good fortune of knowing someone in my area where I could see a Memphis advantage in action as well so i did get to see how it worked and the quality of the cooked food. For me I am exclusively smoking on it so I am not looking to Grill or sear steaks or anything like that. The advanced controls with the meat probel and a set and check on it every hour or so or not id what I was after as well.

If you look at costs for what I wanted for something other than a pellet grill, I was looking at the 22" WSM and then buying a BBQ guru or similar with extra meat probes to control it, I was around the $750 plus mark with no SS and not such a great build so it made sense for me to spend a bit more for something like this.

It certainly can be an expensive hobby, but for me it's a great investment.

Hope some of that helps,

-Bob

TentHunter

Let's break it down into realistic financial terms.

A Memphis Select is $1200 including shipping. The MAK 1 star is $1300 including shipping. That's $23.08 or $25 per week respectively for only one year.

I bet most families spend more than that eating out each week. And when you consider the quality, it really isn't a fortune as much as it is a wise investment in future good eating! :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
I dont want to bash the entry level chinese grills....but can tell you that most people when they get into this they end up buying a MAK or Memphis...Or a few others...But Mak and Memphis sell more usa made smokers than the others by far. SO if you think that you are going to be smoking a fair amoung of food save yourself the step and take a keen look at the select or one star

bbqslayer

The one question I wish I asked before buying my Traeger was more about the warranty. After 4 months the ignitor went out and the dealer just handed me one. I'm all thumbs when it comes to do anything. I managed to get it in but it took me awhile and the frustration took 2 drinks for the attitude. I thought buying local would be better. I see a lot of praise for BP service. Do you use a national type of repair service company your contracted with? How does online purchases get repaired?

Big Poppa

Administrator
YOu would get the parts but we would walk you through it and Mak daddy has made these kind of repairs sort of plug n play

Memphis

Many of the basic components of the Memphis are shared across the models so I would expect the same reliability that SisInLaw has experienced in all of the Memphis Grills.

Umsmellsgood

Check out different grills. At the end of the day,your only gonna get so much smoke out of pellet grills. Why spend 3500.00 when the end product pretty much is the same anyway. Better materials will help hold temps more steady, but if I'm spending that kind if money , I don't want to have to add gadgets for more smoke . That being said , I love my pellet grill. It has it's place among my many cooking toys!!!

Umsmellsgood

I hear u on that one. When I first bought a pelletgrill, I was thinking I would get more smoke just because I was burning wood pellets. I haven't found that to be the case yet. I'm still in learning curb phase of pellet cooking. Making adjustments and fine tuning temp controll was a little harder than I thought it would be. But I can see daylight at the end of the tunnel!! Gets a little better everytime. Just not sure that I'll ever get the type of smoke I thought I would . Having fun trying though.

Top Bottom