So much info that is not easily found on the internet

11hardyanimal

I am thinking about getting a Traeger, but am not limited to that brand. But I have questions....Which size is best for my family of five that occasionally cooks for 10 to 15 but I also cook Sous Vide? I love to do beer can chickens two to 3 at a time so I need that capacity. If I go up to one if the larger size models do the use a noticable amount more pellets? If I were to start out with a non digital model that is used, could I hook it to my sous vide module and would the ignition system react well to this?

jimsbarbecue

Although Traeger is the pellet grill that started the pellet cooking adventures. They have been left behind by a lot of manufactures. Don't buy a three speed, whatever you decide on get with a digital temp setting. On size get larger then you think you can get by with.

TentHunter

If you have the budget take a serious look at the MAK Grills. I am currently reviewing the latest model 1 Star here: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-ce...eral-1273-reporting-duty-review-testing-8438/

And don't be fooled by it's smaller foot print. It holds a lot of food!

If you decide to go with a used 3-speed model Treager, your sous vide controller won't work. You'll need to get a digital controller designed for pellet grills. The Ortech controller should work well.

And yes, larger model pellet grills will use more pellets.

knightoftears

As a Traeger owner for the past 6 years I have been fortunate to not have most of the problems I see others experiencing. I love my Traeger and have made some amazing food on it. Other companies have since improved on the original idea of course. Thank goodness they don't provide pit upgrades as fast as they do cellphones or we would all be in trouble LOL Definitely shop around and find the one you feel has the features you want at your price point.

MountainSmokin

I know this thread is old, but when you call Traeger THREE times because your grill is smoking like crazy and they assure you everything will be fine, and then you notice the deck on which it sits is in flames, you think seriously about getting a Traeger. The fireman showed me the shorted wires and said, "here is your problem." Insurance will replace the deck, but of course the Traeger was out of warranty by 3 months and they didn't stand by it. I could sue, but I do NOT ever want a Traeger again!!

Top Bottom