Sockeye Salmon grilling/smoking

burundibob

Hi, my name is Bob and I am a new smoker. I have some sockeye from last fall's fishing in Washington state and am looking for suggestions. I searched threads, but none came up. I am thinking that I want to smoke the sockeye with some liquid left... not like a real 'smoked salmon' to be served on crackers...more like a slow grilling with smoke for flavor. Any suggested kindly appreciated.
Thanx, Bob

scooter

Welcome to PS.com Bob! Not one to smoke salmon since I got violently sick eating smoked salmon 20 years ago or so that had been left unrefrigerated for way way way too long. It's still not back on the list.

onionhead

I like to smoke my steelhead about once a week for my family. Steelhead (an ocean-going trout) and salmon are fish in the same family, and I have done several side-by-side tests. I have a recipe that is very simple to use. I prep the filets (Costco) with EVOO and a light coating of a chicken rub. I put the filets on a Poppa Mat and set the MAK 2 on smoke for three hours. That is it. The experts say I should use Alder pellets, but I use either hickory or MCH. It works for us, and is easy to accomplish.

Top Bottom