Some Brisket Practice Time

firehouse_bbq

Being a government employee, I am off today ;) so I figured it was a good time to tweak and finalize our brisket cooking techniques.

Started with a 12.65# Choice packer brisket, trimmed the fat between the flat and point, all of the fat and silver skin on the top, and some of the fat on the bottom of the point (for burnt ends)

Trying a new injection/marinade of beef stock, granulated garlic, granulated onion and seasoned salt. I injected the brisket last night, then poured another 2 cups of injection over the brisket and marinaded it overnight.

Fired up the smoked today to 275*, cooking with BBQ Delight Hickory Pellets. Took the brisket out of the marinade, patted dry and applied our rub. Three different rubs, started with a greek seasoning, then Smoking Guns Hot, topped with our own Firehouse BBQ Santa Maria rub.

Onto the smoker at 9am.
Sorry, only got one pic after it was on the smoker. Too focused on the process last night to take pics :)
429256_3074932308048_1105890342_3074875_291705899_n.jpg

I will post more pics as we go. Plan to follow BP's tips on wrapping it tight when color is right.

Stand by.....

firehouse_bbq

Ok, this is one of those times in BBQ where I think, WTF.....My 12 pound brisket is DONE! Cooked in less than 5 hours. Cooking temp was between 275 and 300. I figured it would 7-8 hours, but less than 5....hmmmm.

Of course, I will have to wait a few hours to slice and see the end result, but the temp was right, and more important to me, the feel was right. So I pulled it off, let it vent, and then wrapped in plastic wrap and in towels (thanks again BP for the tips)

Here are some pics:
Ready to be foiled (about 2 1/2 hours in, temp was about 145-150)
9893242.jpg

After it was done, and resting
1516459.jpg

Another Shot
2953286.jpg

Wrapped in plastic just before going into the towels
9238603.jpg

I will post some finished pics in a few hours. Still puzzled by this one....

firehouse_bbq

Ok, so the results....mixed.

The tenderness was awesome, the taste, a tad on the salty side. It also rested too long and was just "warm" when I sliced it, I had to pour the au jus over it and put it in the oven to heat it up for dinner.

I think with a little tweaking, the recipe will be great. Still puzzled that it cooked that fast. Anyone ever have that happen on a regular basis? I figured at 275, a 12lb packer would take about 8 hours.

Here are a few pics, sorry for the quality, phone camera sucks.
5126553.jpg

9294173_orig.jpg

Top Bottom