Something I have learned & pork chops

SoDakSmokerGolfer

Happy summer everyone. I haven't been as active here or cooking as much as I would like but for the summer my work load and school load is a bit lighter so I have had a bit more time. I thought I would try and pass on a tid bit I have learned while cooking and interacting with this forum. This will be old hat to lot of you but I see a ton of new peeps here now so some my find this useful... And I am betting this has been posted before.

I found these nice loin chops at the store the other day on sale to boot!
a9e9etu2.jpg

I got them going with two of my favorite rubs
ru2a5yby.jpg

Now here is the tidbit... When you use any rub on a protein (smaller cuts -all will debate about the lager cuts as to what is best) you need to let it set

SoDakSmokerGolfer

As I was saying you need to let the rub set on the meat for a bit of time. How much time seems to vary depending on the rub but I have found that at least 30 mins is a a good place to start. You can see in the pics below from left to right how these progressed. These went for about 45mins. You can see how much the texture and color has changed. What you are looking for is "sweating" to occur as the rub "melts" onto the meat. This really brings out the flavor and helps build a bark on what you are cooking.

qyheneve.jpg

Here are the chops on the MAK and then plated up. And for anyone on the fence about getting a pellet grill because they think you can't sear... For the MAK 2 star at least, think again! Thanks for looking.
savy9eta.jpg

Frog13

Do I let rest in fridge or on counter under foil or something
Either will work but on the counter you need to be aware of temperatures that can enhance bacteria growth. Always best to keep it cold. The salt in the rub will make the meat "sweat", open the pores on the meat and allow the flavor to penetrate some. I try to rub the night before and let rest in the fridge overnight if I have time.

Top Bottom