Sous Vide with finish on the Yoder

flypig

Ok, so I will admit this is marginally off topic, but it does involve my pellet grill.

I got a Sous Vide machine a few weeks ago and I have been in meat bliss ever since. I do tend to finish sear on my pellet grill or cold smoke before going into the water oven.

I've seen a few folks mention Sous Vide here from time-to-time. So I wonder what beautiful things you have done with it, with or without pellets.

This stupid water box has cost me more in meat than I've spent in a long time, I am finding all kinds of new uses for it each day. I also have made some pretty epic mistakes, (although that is not the machines fault) with my initial faulty research that food will never overcook. It may not overcook, but it can turn to almost inedible mush. Perfectly cooked mush. :p

I got the Sous Vide oven after discovering something magical. I did a beautiful low and slow brisket on the Yoder, that I wanted to share with my employees. One of the guys had a Sous Vide and I asked him to bring it in. I vacuum sealed a couple of 3 lb chunks with about 1/4 cup of really good au jus. We put it in the water oven at 140 for a couple of hours and the result was seriously amazing. I've never had leftover brisket that good. 6 of us demolished all 6 lbs.

This seemed to be a topic that I think quite a few of us may have played with. So what have you got?

So Cal Smoker

What brand of Sous Vide did you purchase? I just received the Dorkfood SV and although time has not been kind to me this past two weeks I have cooked a couple eggs, and a Top Round Steak which turned out great. Very tender and tasty. The egg whites were a little to runny for my taste so will up the temp a little next time. Hopefully after the Holidays I'll have time to really play with my new found friend. Good luck and good SV.

flypig

Sous Vide Supreme. But I am pretty sure I need to get a circulator too so I can do bigger things. 10lbs is about all I can do with the current one.

So Cal Smoker

The SV Supreme was my first choice but the price stopped me cold. I wanted something I could try without braking the bank. I've read were some are using inexpensive fish tank circulators. After the holiday madness is over I'm going to check into it.

flypig

I agree the price point is a little steep. But then again, in the 3 or so weeks I've had it, it only got put away once for 2 days. All the meat I get now, gets seasoned and vac sealed as it most likely is going to end up SV.

Did a 10lb breast for Thanksgiving yesterday 145F for 6 hours. Cold smoked on the Yoder for about 2 hours then into the bag with butter, salt pepper sage and thyme. Sat in fridge overnight and then into the SV till just before serving. Turkey like this can erase scars of white meat turkey from your childhood.

flypig

Trust me, it'll be more than fun! Cheap roasts that have the consistency of a great tenderloin will make you a believer. But the best things to come out of this oven are Beef Tenderloin steaks, New York Steaks, Skirt steak, chicken and turkey of any kind, and cheap ass round roast.

I am trying some Jambalaya where I have 2 bags at different temps. One with the Andouille and shrimp and one with the rice fixins.

It's not really magic for Veggies, meat is where it shines. Used it twice in the last 2 days for Chicken Cordon Bleu and last night a couple of tenderloins. You have never had chicken breast prepared better. 145 for an hour per inch of thickness.

For beef, I use DSSR with a binder of EVOO then put in vacuum, once cooked Sous Vide, I pull it out and pat it dry and put in a pan with some butter, (If I want sauce) or put on grill grates on the Yoder. You might need a bit more seasoning on the finish if you dry off the cut before searing.

So Cal Smoker

At what temp and how long did you cook your tenderloins, also what size, and was it med, med rare, or rare? Thanks in advance for the info. I haven't Sous Vide a tenderloin yet but I'm going to do a Tri tip today. Wish me luck lol.

flypig

Tenderloins I do at 134 for about an hour per inch of thickness. I've also done tri-tip, it runs at least 2 hours and not more than 6. I do all of my beef at 134 as a personal preference, that is the middle of the med rare scale.

RickB

I do my steaks at 125. This is low enough to allow a 2min per side sear at the end. Serves med rare.

So Cal Smoker

Thanks for the info Fly & Rick. I have done a Top Round Steak at 135 and found it to be a little to done after the sear (top end of med rare). I think I'll try 133 because it's my understanding that 2* makes a big difference in the outcome of Sous Vide. Life got in the way of my Tri Tip cook today but hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again guys for the input.

RickB

Trust me, it'll be more than fun! Cheap roasts that have the consistency of a great tenderloin will make you a believer. But the best things to come out of this oven are Beef Tenderloin steaks, New York Steaks, Skirt steak, chicken and turkey of any kind, and cheap ass round roast.

I am trying some Jambalaya where I have 2 bags at different temps. One with the Andouille and shrimp and one with the rice fixins.

It's not really magic for Veggies, meat is where it shines. Used it twice in the last 2 days for Chicken Cordon Bleu and last night a couple of tenderloins. You have never had chicken breast prepared better. 145 for an hour per inch of thickness.

For beef, I use DSSR with a binder of EVOO then put in vacuum, once cooked Sous Vide, I pull it out and pat it dry and put in a pan with some butter, (If I want sauce) or put on grill grates on the Yoder. You might need a bit more seasoning on the finish if you dry off the cut before searing.

Wait till you butter poach Maine lobster tails. Worth the cost for this one dish!

RickB

Remove the meat from two six to seven ounce tails.do not cut the tails in half. Reserve the shells. Place in a vac pack with four pats of butter one on each side of each tail. Also add a couple of fresh tarragon leaves to each side of tails. SV for 45 minutes at 145 after temp comes back up. Put the shells into boiling water for 5 minutes. After meat is done drape back over the shells dress with paprika and serve with clairified butter. Of course this is for presentation only. Best lobster you will ever eat.

Ps. Only use cold water tails. Maine or Canadian. May I suggest serve with a 6oz filet mignon med rare in a mushroom brandy sauce and a caesar salad.

Last edited:

So Cal Smoker

My mouth is watering just reading your post Rick. Thank you for taking the time to help me with my new found cooking adventure and yes I will use your suggestion, it sounds delicious.

Bill

68sting

We'll I tried chicken, steak and a burger so far. The chicken tastes fine vey moist but I'm not use to the texture just yet. The steak could have come from a five star restaurant. It was amazing. The burger was good but not quite as good as one off the infrared. I have beef short ribs going that should be read tomorrow night. Lots of experimenting yet to do!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom