Spatchcock Question

I am wanting to smoke a Turkey around Christmas. I've never done one before. I'd like to spatchcock it but I don't know how. Also, I think I saw a post of one Big Poppa did and He had the probe going into the breast. At what temp do you pull the bird and will the skin turn out crispy? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

TentHunter

Spatchcocking is about the only way I cook birds anymore. I love the technique!

Spatchcock is not hard. Cut the back bone out, flip the bird over and push down on the keel bone to flatten the bird as much as possible. Use the backbone to make some stock.

The bones are definitely a little tougher on a turkey than a chicken, but it's worth the effort. The trade-off is a turkey that cooks much quicker at the same temp because the heat can now get to both sides.

Like scooter I've found the 325° - 350° temp range seems to give the best balance between color, smoke flavor and edible skin.

One trick that seems to work well for me is to rub a very thin coating of mayo on the skin before you apply your seasonings. Mayo won't run off like some oils, because the egg in the mayo makes it stick.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your guy's help. I was beginning to think nobody was going to reply. I am going to try a test bird next weekend to see if I can get it right.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom