spatchcocked chicken

booboo

I am going to smoke a spatchcocked chicken tomorrow. I am thinking of putting it in a brine tonight and rubbing it with Oakridge Secret Weapon right before putting it on the smoker tomorrow afternoon. I am planning on smoking it at 225 degrees with a mixture of cherry and hickory pellets in the Yoder. I also have an amazing tube to add some more smoke. The chicken is just over 6lbs. How long is it going to take to cook? Should I put a pan of water in the smoker to add moisture?

I also have a few 1in thick pork chops I plan to smoke at the same time. How do I do that?

Big Poppa

Administrator
ok 225 is low for chicken...its doable just going to take forever and your skin will be rubbery. I like 275....and actually like to ramp it up to 325 fior the last 15 minutes to tighten the skin At 225 I think to get to an internal of 165 it will be well over 2 hours. The pork is not problem just put one after the bird is on for about an hour

booboo

How long will it take to cook at 275? What about putting a pan of water in the pit while smoking?

jimsbarbecue

I agree with 275 as the lowest I would cook chicken. Any lower the results I think suffer. time start checking at 1 hour and by 90 minutes it should be done or overdone. Ramping sounds like a great idea which is easy to do. You could even set the MAK to do it automatic.

Sir Lamerok

I always cook my chicken at 225 and it does take two to three hours and the skin is rubbery but I love the texture and it is always moist and juicy.

tenny80

I have been cooking chicken at 350 all spring, I was doing 275 or lower last year and I gotta say the 350 chicken is better :)

scooter

I like going hot n fast on chicken and turkeys. Only thing at that temp you need to be mindful of is your rub contents. Sugars and paprika will really darken your skin at high temps. Not a horrible thing just pointing out you won't get that golden color with sugar or paprika on the skin at high temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51Phantom

I'm with Scooter. I cook them hot, get great skin, cook to about 165-170 on the breast and it turns out great every time. I will take dark crispy skin over rubbery anyday.

fishingbouchman

Cooking low seems to make the chicken rubber feeling. Don't like it myself. Hotter and fast the texture is a lot better to me. 325 or higher for me. Maybe low and slow for 30 min to pick up some smoke but hot and fast other than that.

Top Bottom