Spicy smoked and grilled green chicken

CarterQ

Had a whole chicken defrosted and wanted to try something a little different with it.

Cut up the chicken into pieces (used the rest for stock)

797953c0.jpg

Made a marinade using fresh basil, green onions, serrano chiles, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, and lime juice

545788f6.jpg

Hit it with the food processor

7a97487b.jpg

Into the high tech marinading device to sit all day

105519a8.jpg

Onto the MAK running at 225 for a little oak smoke, my son said they looked like Shrek chickens

7009b7db.jpg

After an hour on smoke, cranked it up to 375 and moved them over to the flame zone to finish (I was using the original drip pan / flame zone)

e328e9fd.jpg

Off the grill

6de52814.jpg

Ready for dinner, served up with a little salad and the wife's cheddar bacon biscuits

10489d43.jpg

This came out pretty tasty, the color was a little funky but the fresh flavors from the onion, basil, garlic, lime and heat of the Serrano more than made up for it. Had a nice hint of smoke too along with the great grilled flavor.

Last edited:

TentHunter

It's almost like a pesto marinade. Yeah, the color may be a bit different, but I can actually imagine the taste of the sweet basil & onion working together with the hint of smoke.

Sweet, oniony & smoky... I'd try it in a heartbeat Tom!

ACW3

Man, that looks good. We are having chicken tonight and I have most of the ingredients. I may just have to try a version of your marinade. I need to check with our house guests to see how far I can go with the "heat".

Art

MossyMO

Your ingredients sound excellent and love the Shrek chicken look, nice work on a "thinking outside the box" project!

scooter

the wife shoulda thrown a little green food coloring into the bisquits! Woulda all matched that way! :)

Like the combo of the marinade! Bet it tasted good!

Top Bottom