Stoked!!!

Darwin00537

WHooooaaaaa There are many definitions of pop stand...SO first off I love this place...Secondly I am really tired of not getting the benfit of the doubt. If I said lets blow this pop stand maybe....just using 50's slang...

I will be more formal in the future....

Don't go crazy now. I'm here for Q talk not advice on how to keep my pinky out with my tea cup.;)

Wait, unless you can tell me how to keep my pinky out with my tea cup while eating a half rack... NAh... just skip the formal stuff:cool:

scooter

I can understand BP's feelings on the Smoke Daddy and I had a similar impression when I first installed it. That was until I worked with it for a while and figured out how to make it work to get clean smoke but not before I coated the inside of my 2 Star with black tar so bad that it was dripping out of the vents on the outside edge of the cold smoker!
Once I figured out how to work it on a pellet smoker, I've never had a problem since and wouldn't want to do without it. I've not had to clean the SD since due to the clean burn. My 2 Star is basically a prototype offset, stick burning pellet pit. It gives a cook some options where smoke flavor is weakest on pellet cookers.

Sting, do some searches here on PS.com. I've posted before in detail how I run the SD to get clean smoke. PM me if you have questions. Yes, I've seen the output of an Amazn and I think they work best as a cold smoker when the pellet cooker is turned off which means there's no fan blowing smoke out. I think they would work perfect that way but when having to fight against an induction fan, IMO, much more smoke output is required for my personal tastes.

Darwin00537

The UPS tracking page shows my Mak is to be delivered tomorrow, however, I paid for the white glove treatment and no one called to set up a delivery time. Does anyone know if I can still anticipate it arriving tomorrow? I just want to make sure they're not going to sit on it while they wait for someone in their backoffice to schedule the delivery. I don't really care what time it shows up I'll be home all day for it.

UPDATE - UPS called me about 2 hours ago so the delivery is scheduled... with the caveat that local snow in the forecast might be an issue. Figures.

Last edited:

Darwin00537

My Mak is here. Aside from closely following the directions I'd appreciate any lessons learned that anyone has to offer for assembly. I've got it taken mostly out of the box and have a neighbor/fellow Q-head coming over later to help. In the meantime I will resist the urge to try to do it all by myself.

Initial impressions... I've read in many places that this is a well built grill... but am still shocked at how well built it looks. The auger looks tough enough to be used for drilling to the center of the earth.

Last edited:

Darwin00537

Grill is assembled and is currently set to 450 for the 30 minute burn in. The first burn in attempt resulted in a flameout. I have no idea why. I took all the innards out to check the firepot and all I saw was smoldering pellets (in the firepot). Anyway I took the firepot out and checked to make sure no ash had built up outside the firepot, put the firepot back in, moved the smoldering pellets around a bit in case one had gotten itself wedged somewhere it shouldn't have, assembled all the innards back into the grill, set it to 450, and lit it back up. It appears to be running again and is heating up past the 250 mark.

Darwin00537

What are you cookin first? Whatever it is, take pics and keep track of everything in a log.

Scooter you have identified my current dilemma. Deciding what to cook first. I've been considering brisket, chicken breasts, steaks, ribs, pork shoulder, the list goes on. It'll probably be something that cooks more quickly.

The good news is the flameout didn't happen again on the second burn in attempt, so it ran for a half hour and then did the 20 minute cool down with no issues. It seems ready to go. I'm very happy with the condition it arrived in. It was well packaged.

Darwin00537

Got the Wifi going. I'm just about ready to cook something. Should I foil the indirect cooking covers, or anything else, before I throw food on?

1hhg.png

Darwin00537

Yes foil all. Covers and heat plate.

Too late. I spoke to BPS and they said not to fool with foil. I decided to go no foil because it just seemed like the foil would be a major pain to deal with on the covers and the heat plate. If it was just one pan, like you see in a traeger, it would be a no brainer to foil.

Hank which Mak do you have and does your version have the covers?

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

Foil is a matter of preference, I personally only use a loose pc of it when smoking a large cut like pork shoulder or a turkey other then that my welding brush works great :)
Some folks foil everything, it does make clean up easier. If you decide to foil make sure you are not restricting any air flow from the pit to the cooking chamber above!

hank858SD

Too late.
Hank which Mak do you have and does your version have the covers?

I have the 2Star and it has the dual covers. Like MAK Daddy says I poke holes in the foil on the main heat deflector. If you do ever end up foiling all three tuck the corners in good on the main heat deflector so any grease can flow down the sides and out to the collector pail

Last edited:

Darwin00537

Foil is a matter of preference, I personally only use a loose pc of it when smoking a large cut like pork shoulder or a turkey other then that my welding brush works great :)
Some folks foil everything, it does make clean up easier. If you decide to foil make sure you are not restricting any air flow from the pit to the cooking chamber above!

Roger that. Its nice to have a grill that can stand up to cleaning with a welding torch!

Darwin00537

I have the 2Star and it has the dual covers. Like MAK Daddy says I poke holes in the foil on the main heat deflector. If you do ever end up foiling all three tuck the corners in good on the main heat deflector so any grease can flow down the sides and out to the collector pail

Thanks Hank. Have you posted any cooks to the gallery? I'd love to get a link to whatever your most proud of.

Top Bottom