Storing a Mak outdoors in the elements, will it hold up?

Chris_B

Hi,

What experience do you guys having storing your Mak 2 Star outside in the elements either with a cover or without? Do the insides rust out? I don't have a garage or other shelter and plan on putting the smoker on my patio with a decent cover to keep it as dry as I can when not in use. I'm in the mid-Atlantic so relatively mild winters with humid summers.

SoDakSmokerGolfer

The MAK 2 is built like a tank. I have had mine for about a year now and kept it out side all the time with just a cover on it.... And six months of that time was a good South Dakota winter. More than once I have had to dig it out with a shovel from the snow. I haven't had any real issues and not a spot of rust.

Only thing is don't leave pellets in the hopper if you aren't going to use it for a few days.

Saxguy

I'm going to be doing a built-in, so I will have no choice but to leave it outside :) I'll keep it covered when not in use - should be fine.

TentHunter

I guess that we don't have enough data to know if the innards will need to be replaced in 5 years.

Sure you do. All the body parts on a MAK are either 304 Stainless Steel, or Aluminized steel with a powder coat.

Grates, drip pans, firepot, grease bucket, etc. are all stainless steel.

Rust should not be an issue.

BudGarrison

My MAK has been living on my back patio for 2 years, mostly un-covered as I use it several times a week, with no discernible rust or damage. I do have a cover that I use some of the time, but more often than not I forgot to go out and put it back on!

cowdog

I have had my 2-Star on my back deck for just over a year through thunderstorms, high heat, high humidity, snow, and ice. I see not one sign of any deterioration. My grill cover looks like it has been outside for five years, but my MAK looks like it just came out of the box. Other than some cooking residue.

SmokinMAK

My 2 Star has been out on my back deck in the wet Oregon weather for the last 3 years. The only extra step I take is a small tarp under the MAK fitted cover during the wet months (which is most of them unfortunately). No sigh of rust on this beast. I never empty the pellets throughout the winter and have never had issues with moisture in the pellets. Of course I cook on it most weekends year-round. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude Young

Only one word of caution... If you are storing it outside, and not under a covered porch/patio, empty the hopper and run the auger tube clear during the wet months (I am in POrtland, OR). Most of the time it isn't a huge concern, but we had a few real good wind/rain event last winter and the water got all the way up and into my 2-star. The pellets in the auger tube swelled and turned as hard as mortar. I had to disassemble the whole thing and drive the auger out. Works like a charm now, but was a few of the scariest hours of my life. I keep it in the garage all winter and only bring it back out on the deck after mid-June.

That is until we move and it will stay out under the covered patio.

scooter

I have the third production 2 Star off the line. It's spent it's entire life on the back deck. Covered when not in use. There is no rust on, or in, #28.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

Patrick_CT

I keep mine under a covered roof all winter and put the cover on when not in use. I am having an issue that the power coating on the legs is coming off in multiple locations. A few people have made comments to me and it does kind of bother me, but I do not think there is anything I can do about it. The rest of the unit is built great and is holding up very well.

MAK DADDY

I keep mine under a covered roof all winter and put the cover on when not in use. I am having an issue that the power coating on the legs is coming off in multiple locations. A few people have made comments to me and it does kind of bother me, but I do not think there is anything I can do about it. The rest of the unit is built great and is holding up very well.

The older grills had some hit and miss powder adhesion (which is why we developed our own powder blend). We will re-coat at no charge, you only pay the shipping or drop off/pick up.

Patrick_CT

What would I need to send back? Since it is from CT I am afraid it would get expensive.

Thanks.. I love MAK customer service!

roburado

Only one word of caution... If you are storing it outside, and not under a covered porch/patio, empty the hopper and run the auger tube clear during the wet months (I am in POrtland, OR). Most of the time it isn't a huge concern, but we had a few real good wind/rain event last winter and the water got all the way up and into my 2-star. The pellets in the auger tube swelled and turned as hard as mortar. I had to disassemble the whole thing and drive the auger out. Works like a charm now, but was a few of the scariest hours of my life. I keep it in the garage all winter and only bring it back out on the deck after mid-June.

That is until we move and it will stay out under the covered patio.

Yeah... Gotta be good about that stuff. I had an auger jam on Thanksgiving day as I was trying to get the turkey done. Yikes!!!!

But...we park the 2-Star in the garage for the winter now. It has been great for the most part living outside with no roof on our deck for two years.

Top Bottom