Tell me about seasoning my new MAK...

Spey Rod

I am picking up my new 1 star and would love to have a successful cook on new years eve. I will be assembling on the 30th so timing is tight. This is going to be my first experience with a pellet grill. What do I need to know? What does seasoning a grill achieve? How do you season a grill?

Dinner on new tears eve will be prime rib.

Thanks!

Big Poppa

Administrator
let me be the first you are going to hear BACON! I like to use bacon running it at about 350 for 45 minutes is fine too!

Spey Rod

let me be the first you are going to hear BACON! I like to use bacon running it at about 350 for 45 minutes is fine too!

I am definitely down with Bacon! On frog mats on the top rack or both racks? Temp and duration recommendation for the bacon please…

A priority for a near term cook is going to be making some butt bacon. I need to learn to brine...

TentHunter

Seasoning is for grills that have the potential to rust. You heat the grill up to get rid of the "new paint" smell. let it cool down, rub it with a vegetable oil and heat it back up to let the oil form a carbon layer, much the same as seasoning a cast iron skillet. This helps to prevent rust.

With a MAK there is no real need to "season" it. The body parts are either stainless steel, or aluminized steel with a high-temp powder coat finish.

What you will do is a "burn in" just to get everything up and running. And bacon gets my vote for what to use as well!

Mmmmmmm.... Bacon!

Spey Rod

I was just in the searching for the cure forum and the drool on my chest, well… I was looking for a butt bacon cook but didn't see one. I'll keep looking.

I am a complete novice at this but I am going in head first. I called our butcher and have ordered a ham, prime rib, and some tritips. Christmas eve will be shrimp tacos and grilled oysters if I can find some good ones.

New years eve will be prime rib followed by a bacon wrapped breakfast fatty for brunch the next morning.

My wife is so excited about the menus I hope I don't fail her!

dnew

Sounds like good menus to me, the best way to learn is do it. Lots of good info on this site and the supporting BP site. This hobby is a bit addictive and the joy you get in other folks enjoying your food cannot be exceeded. Nothing like seeing the joy on your family and friends faces as they eat food you have created. Enjoy!

TentHunter

I was just in the searching for the cure forum and the drool on my chest, well… I was looking for a butt bacon cook but didn't see one. I'll keep looking.

There's not one specifically for buckboard bacon, but brining bacon, Canadian bacon, or buckboard bacon is the exact same process as hams.

Spey Rod

The grill is here. Assembly was so easy my 7yo son could help. The only issue was lifting the unit, it is quite heavy. I followed the directions for the burn in. Fortunately the gentleman I purchased from, Eastside Barbecue in Eugene, told me it may take 2 cycles to ignite the first time. No big deal when the alarm for flame out sounded. Cycled off and on and the Q took off.

In the morning I am going to cook bacon and biscuits for the wife before she heads off to work. I have to say, I rarely get excited about purchases, other than guns, but I am pumped about this purchase!

Kite

One suggestion I might add - do a practice cook before the New Year party. Cook what you are going to cook then today. Even if it turns out perfect, you will gain confidence and experience.

Top Bottom