The art of making sausage.....

SmokinSteiny

I scrolled through the thread looking for more advice on this but didn't see anything.

I'm curious in the art of making sausage and I've been trying to find websites and books to learn how too. Everything I find gets some pretty bad reviews along with some good. So I figured I'd turn to the forum, I trust you guys more then just reviews. So could anyone point me in the direction of a good beginner's how to site or book?

Thanks!
Chris

squirtthecat

These are 2 books that I have:

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing - Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn
Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing: 4th Edition - Rytek Kutas

I think I have a couple others, let me check at home tonight.

--

Here is a pretty decent beginner's website:

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/

Salmonsmoker

Re: Sausage making/where to start. I posted earlier in the gallery on Squirt's Honey Cured Ham thread with some references.
I also have those two books and both are excellent.

TentHunter

I started making sausage a number of years ago by first learning how to make fresh bulk sausage. It's a great place to start and requires very little specialized equipment.

Then later you can get into stuffing sausages in casings, smoked sausages, etc.

Another good book I just ordered is:
Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions
[FONT=&quot]Stanley Marianski, Adam Marianski & Miroslaw Gebarowski[/FONT]

Maybe we should put together a little Sausage 101 thread or even a separate section where folks can add to it.

RickB

I started making sausage a number of years ago by first learning how to make fresh bulk sausage. It's a great place to start and requires very little specialized equipment.

Then later you can get into stuffing sausages in casings, smoked sausages, etc.

Another good book I just ordered is:
Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions
[FONT=&quot]Stanley Marianski, Adam Marianski & Miroslaw Gebarowski[/FONT]

Maybe we should put together a little Sausage 101 thread or even a separate section where folks can add to it.

Great idea! Would love to see that expanded to curing and smoking also.

MossyMO

As far as books go the 3 references so far are excellent and enough to keep you busy the rest of your life if you tried everything suggested and the recipes in them. In my opinion the book Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing: 4th Edition - Rytek Kutas is a must have and should be considered the Bible of sausage making.

squirtthecat

Hey Chris. If you want to borrow one/both of those books to check them out before you buy, just give me a shout. My Rytek book is just sitting on a shelf for now. I haven't had time to mess with it.

Salmonsmoker

Mossy is right about Rytek Kutas' book. I need the "behind the curtain" stuff and this book gives the reader that. I bought the 3rd edition when it first came out. Now there's a 4th edition? What could be new? Hon, there's this new book I just gotta have.............. :)

I like Tenthunter's idea about a sausage and curing thread.

Top Bottom