There HAS to be a better way... cleaning.

TrickyDick

Ok,

so I've been a bit neglectful in cleaning, and its that time to clean my MAK. Really Really clean, and all areas around the grill as well / hood etc.

The SS wire grates are tedious to clean. I spent at least 30-45 minutes on ONE grate to really get it shining, in the kitchen sink with scrub pads/stone/water and some occasional de-greaser (Greased Lightning). This was AFTER I ran them through my dishwasher. The dishwasher barely did a thing to them.

I'm taking them to the driveway now and see if the steam cleaner will clean them any more easily.
I know some guys put them into the grill then fire it up to max temp like a oven cleaning cycle. This hasn't been very effective for me, or maybe I didn't want to let it run long enough and waste the pellets.
How does E-Z-Off oven cleaner work on the grates?

Thanks!

TD

RickB

TD I dont know why you are having a problem using the self clean cycle in your oven. I do it every time and works perfectly. Let it cool and rinse with cold water. Also works great with grill grates, blank and sear pans. Maybe a problem with your oven?

Rick

scooter

You can use a pressure washer on the grates but it can make a mess as will a steam cleaner I suspect. I prefer hitting the grate with a weed burner/snow torch to completely burn off everything in a few minutes. It makes a loud noise but is quick, clean and is completely without physical effort. I've never tried it on a grease pan because I foil my pan so no need to clean it. I'd be concerned with warping the pan using that much heat.
I know some who use oven cleaner but I agree with BP that it shouldn't be used or at least used with extreme caution.

TrickyDick

Hmmm.

Well, many, many hours later, the MAK is looking good!

A generous helping of elbow grease was used. I will seriously try the oven clean cycle next time. We have a new oven since last time I tried it, maybe that'll make a difference. the grates took forever with a wire brush (the kind I used is for pipe soldering work as the regular BBQ brush is essentially useless for caked on grease). Got them clean enough. I took the lid off the MAK. was harder to get back on than to take off. Shined it up real good. FYI, the "greased lightning" product works great, but I found that ZEB 505 works even better for smoke and grease. Cleaned off the hood and the inserts, and the backsplash where my MAK is installed. I did hit the flamezone insert with some oven cleaner due to a recent disaster and loads of caked on grease (burnt pig candy). it worked well and was a limited application. anyway, I plan to post some pics of the new and fully cleaned MAK after just over 13 months of use.

I learned a new trick by the way. When using the flame zone this was especially helpful. We had burgers/cheeseburgers tonight. Some cheese melted over onto my spanking clean grill and flamezone. I let it run a bit longer after the cook was over, with a piece of foil over the primary grates. It intensified the heat being directed back at the flame zone and turned nearly all the crud to ash. I let it go maybe 15 minutes and then hit the off button to enter the cooldown mode. After that was all done, I looked under the foil and the flamezone looked really clean! I was surprised after the burgers and cheeseburgers..

Anyway, I'll post some clean grill shots later when I have more energy. Spent a good 4-5 hours cleaning the grill, inserts, grates, the grill itself, the lid, the hood, the hood inserts, etc. Need to get with a more regular deep cleaning plan every quarter, and a more basic weekly or after use cleaning plan. Time as always is the most precious commodity though.

Family loved the homemade hotdogs tonight. Still have like 8 pounds vac sealed and frozen. The casings are too small compared to regular Ball Park Franks. wish there was an in-between casing for hot dogs, between Sheep and Pig casing sized.

TD

chaz345

If you go the self cleaning cycle on on the oven route, be sure to knock off as much as you can by hand first because of there's large chunks of stuff, you will fill the house with smoke.

For grease and smoke on the grill itself, I find that full strength Simple Green left on there for a bit on a warm but not hot grill does a pretty decent job at loosening stuff up. As a bonus, it's non-toxic so any left behind, while probably leaving a nasty taste, won't kill anyone.

TrickyDick

I'm thinking next time I borrow a friends pressure washer, and then into cleaning cycle on oven.

Thanks for replies.

TD

hank858SD

Does anybody here have/used/tried the robot grill cleaner??

Have not tried.

The videos I've seen always show it cleaning clean greates. I am still a bit skeptical on if it would work. I am waiting on others to be the bata testers on that device. Have not seen any postings that it's been successful on any fourm posting. I would have thought someone by know would have pass on positive results ?

Top Bottom