Thermometer

Mayn

Anybody have a particular thermometer they like to use. I need to buy a good one. Recommendations?

Pappymn

Thermoworks.com

Best product and service. They stand behind their 100%

They are having an open box sale right now. Red one is the fastest

scooter

The Thermapen is the best but is also very expensive at $96. They go on clearance from time to time in the $80's.
Another alternative is DeltaTRAK. I had purchased a half dozen instant read thermometers a few years ago and was going to publish a review on another pellet forum I frequented back then. I purchased the thermometers and did the temp drills logging the data but never published the data. Of the instant reads I tested Thermapen performed the best but a VERY close second was DeltaTRAK. It's very accurate, nearly as fast as the Thermapen. Maybe a second or two slower on reads in boiling water. Nice large display (not as large as thermapen) and it can be calibrated in the field (Thermapen can't do that) and it had a narrowing tip like a Thermapen so you can leave a smaller hole in the meat. The best part is the price which was a fraction of the price of a Thermapen at around $20. They come with a plastic probe cover with a magnet on it so you can hang it off the pit. They can be purchased off eBay.

$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8)JJBRU932(Ft!~~60_57.JPG

Mayn

Wow. That's way cheaper and if its that good that's a bargain. I may go with a thermapen though. Idk. That is really quite a deal for something so very close. Thank you for the info.

Mayn

I'm not seeing that deal on their website. Only $96. But I kinda think I want the backlit version.

TentHunter

I just got one of those Delta Trak that scooter mentioned and so far so good. They are made in China, but seemed to get really good reviews and are water proof.

bigbear97e

if u want something that does food temp AND cook temp . . . I recommend Maverick 732 . . .by a company called redi-check barbeque . . . got mine for $67 . . two probes and wireless up to 300 feet so you can snooze in the shade . . . I am new CS570 owner . . . found lid thermo was up to 30 degrees out. . . I have used it twice and most impressed . . . some pelletheads say probes can go wonky for no reason. . . . about $25 to replace . . . I am very happy with it so far

Last edited by a moderator:

Mayn

Ok cool. Good to know. Good to know the delta one is doing good too. Maybe I'll get them all and see what works. I'm sure I'll need plenty while learning how to cool this way. Lol.

dnew

Love my thermapen, but then so does my wife. I seem to always be chasing it down. Guess it is time to visit the open box sale.

TentHunter

BTW the Delta Traks (as well as the ThermaPens) are one of the few that are certified to be used in a commissary selling food. My wife, who is a store co-manager for Wal-Mart, laughed when she saw mine arrive because it's what they use in their deli areas, and they have to use approved thermometers.

scooter

Just FYI, the Maverick is NOT instant read like Thermapen and DeltaTrak. The Maverick is a "leave in" thermometer. In my speed trials the Mavericks averaged 30+ seconds to settle in on a temp. It is the thermometer of choice for many on this forum for "leave in" use.
Just wanted to make sure you understood the difference between them.

Top Bottom