Thoughts on MAK setup for Prime Rib?

scooter

Makes sense to me Rick!

BP, no tenting means your roast will cool quicker, the push ends quicker. Makes sense why you only rest 30 mins. What I find interesting is that your roasts get the same 5-10F increase/push in 30 mins that my tented roasts get in 60 mins. My non-engineering brain would have thought your push would have only been maybe 5F increase in IT in that 30 min period of resting.

RickB, got any ideas on that? Can we again point to the roast thickness as the reason the push is approx 10F it just happens faster when there's no foil tenting?

BP, any other benefits to not tenting during the rest? Better bark/crust preservation?

Big Poppa

Administrator
no tenting continues the cook more than I like......it is just really simple the biggest key in prime rib is lowering the cooking temp from how we were raised...325 is no bueno

The 30 minute rest will keep your meat fine One of the things that is super super important to keep your meat fabulous is the presentation cook.....what happens in perfectly cooked meat is that as is sits on the plate it actually begins to look rarer that it really is...the myglobin rises to the edges and gets hot pink....I have to show people by cutting into it that it is the myoglobin and well cooked meat. As I mentioned earlier presentation carving gives you the ability to give people the size of cut and doneness that they desire. For the host you can make the roast go further.

Really want to talk about not searing. you are burning off all the smoky goodness and bark that you create by your cooking mething...go ahead with a gasser....here are some pics
IMG_0589-1.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg
drum smoked at santa anita...you were there scooter!
IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg
drum smoked you can tell by the brownness of the outer edge I like it
Here is a pellet cooked one bumper to bumper
IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

big prime rib cook
DSC00159.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

here is great smoke bark
DSCF0113.jpg

TrickyDick

Looks delicious Big Poppa!

So when I used to do this roast in the electric oven, I cooked at like 225 then pulled around 118 rested while oven came up to 500 degrees and then seared.

In a pellet grill, you and others are saying no sear? I guess the smoke from the pellets makes a bark of sorts?

TD

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK opinions are rampant.

I dont sear because the chemical interaction between the nitrites and such in the meat coupled with the smoked and seasonings give you a rich and beatiful bark....Why burn it off? The comment I get most is "What is that crust? Wow!

The beauty of the MAK is the ability to program the pellet boss to smoke for an hour and then bump to 250 until the internal hits your number. WIth the Four Star you can program both fire pots to smoke for an hour and then program it to cook at 235 on the left side and smoke on the other fire pot.

While Im on Scooters resting stuff...I think its very important....Last Sunday we had the holidays with my wifes half. I had taught my nephew how to smoke food...this was his first. He pulled at 130 and three nieces came over an hour late....the meat was way past 145 Most were happy but the few that wanted rare were out of luck. SO the longer the rest..(the one that is dependent on others) pull it sooner

Meat Man

We recommend roasting at 250, it cuts your moisture loss in half. It also gives a more even cook through out the roast. I would think on the MAK its around 30 mins per pound for med rare. Anything over 12lbs will cook a little faster than than that.

TrickyDick

Good info! No sear for me this year!

Should I cook it directly on the grates, or in my roasting pan? Looks like from your photos, you do not use a pan? How then to collect juices for gravy, unless you use the juices that collect while you are resting? Also, I need to read up on programming the pellet boss.

Pellets available to me are oak, hickory, charcoal, and cherry. I think I might use the oak, but was contemplating the cherry. Anyone that can say what the outcomes are like? I'm sure any would be fine and tasty.

As far as rubs, in the past, I have always used Penzey's English prime rib seasoning. It it a blend of salt, pepper, celery seed and a couple others I don't recall. It always gave a nice flavor when roasted in the oven. I am not looking for a spicy roast, so I'm going to skip the srichrachi sauce ( I can't even spell it but I do love it!). Any suggestions? I should have plenty of options in my pantry, since my order I scheduled for delivery on Monday!

I must say I am loving the MAK, and really enjoy using it and learning to cook with it..

TD

Big Poppa

Administrator
start with what you are used to then you can tweak from there! Listen to Meat Man he is a genius at meat! The cooking temp always has to do with the time I have and the issues with the crowd I anticipate....

That is really a good point...always consider who you are cooking for...prime rib like turkey many times is a communal cook and if so I give myself time for the delays of the drunk aunt and her casserole that nobody touches....If you are cooking for people who show up late always lower the cook tem pso the rest can be longer

scooter

TD, Agreed, stick with what you like in the oven, it will translate well to the MAK.

Also, it will not matter much which pellets you use, IMO. The smoke flavor will be so light. I can't tell that much difference in flavor from one pellet to the next when only smoking for 4 hours. The only exception to that would be mesquite pellets. A very distinct and stronger flavor is added when using mesquite pellets.

Last edited:

scooter

BP, curious if that pooling of juice on top is the result of a shorter rest? It's being squeezed out by a still contracting slice? The only slice I've had that happen on is a roast I fully rested then did a reverse sear and sliced it at the table still sizzling from the flash sear. Otherwise, I never get that pooling on top.

IMG_0589.jpg

Last edited:

SoDakSmokerGolfer

I did...and thanks to all for the tips and info... The rib roast came out wonderful. On a side note it was colder than a well digger's hind end here in South Dakota (-3 F) on Christmas Day and the MAK ran like a champ.

I am ashamed to admit that I got caught up in the day forgot to get a pic of the roast after it came off the grill but here it is right before it went on
View attachment 1898

Belated Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks again for all of the shared wisdom

MAK DADDY

I hear ya, I almost always stop to snap a picture but the family was drooling so I didn't stop slicing!
This was the best we have smoked yet :)
Thanks to all who commented on this great thread, this is exactly what this site is about!

Kite

I did...and thanks to all for the tips and info... The rib roast came out wonderful. On a side note it was colder than a well digger's hind end here in South Dakota (-3 F) on Christmas Day and the MAK ran like a champ.

I am ashamed to admit that I got caught up in the day forgot to get a pic of the roast after it came off the grill but here it is right before it went on
View attachment 1898

Belated Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks again for all of the shared wisdom

Okay, South Dakota and December - how could it be anything other than ridiculously cold?!

Seriously, this was an awesome thread. I took lots of notes..

Top Bottom