To foil or not to foil, that is the question

KyNola

I've noticed that many members wrap their ribs in foil when cooking in the pit. It is true that with some of my former smokers that out of necessity I too foiled my ribs during the cooking process but since I bought my MAK, I no longer foil my ribs.

If anyone is so inclined I would be interested in different views on foil or not to foil. This is in no way intended to start an argument. Just interested in other folks's technique.

KyNola

To the moderators of the forum, if I started this thread in the wrong area, please move it to the appropriate one.

sparky

i always foil my ribs. i have tried it without foil. like the taste of foiled ribs better. the unfoiled ribs seem to be drier and the flavor profile on unfoiled ribs is very strong. it is really nice though to just let them ride for 4 or 5 hours. :)

firehouse_bbq

I always foil my ribs too. For competitions, I add a variety of things in the foil (butter, sugar, rub, etc). For non-comp ribs, still foil, but only add some apple cider.

I tried to cook without foil, and for mer personally, prefer the moister rib the foil produces.

Rip

I liked foiled ribs better. Plus, it's like getting to open presents when it's time to unwrap them!

ITFD#15

Foil or not foiled

never foiled my ribs before I got on this site. Like it but dont use it all the time but the last ribs I did foil and there the best I ever did but I also tweaked the recipe as well

CarterQ

I'll foil once in awhile but I just like them without, I keep my ribs simple anyway so the no foil route works well for me.

scooter

I like them either way, the wife prefers them unfoiled so that's how I do them most of the time. When I'm practicing for when/if I start competing they're always foiled with lots of goodies added to the foil. A foiled rib produces that tenderness and moisture judges are looking for. Unfoiled ribs have a less tender exterior that my wife appreciates.

Top Bottom