To rub and let sit overnight or not......that is the question.

Pappymn

Looking to take the pulse of this population on this important question. So many awesome cooks here. And I have read some competing thoughts on this.

Do you rub your ribs and other pork and let them sit overnight?

CMack1

I try to do it the night before. Sometimes I'm too busy. Sometimes I have too many FTs and forget. If I do let them sit overnight I usually use slightly less rub. It is always nice to wake up in the morning and have it done already.

SoDakSmokerGolfer

I like an hour or so right before for ribs and smaller cuts of meat. I find that way the flavor of the rub doesn't over power the flavor of the meat... you end up with a nice flavor layer.

With larger cuts like the pork shoulder and beef brisket I like to let the rub sit over night. This seem to make a nicer bark and stronger flavor in the meat.

Chili Head

I used to rub everything the night before. Not so much anymore especially with smaller cuts of meat. Usually no more than an hour before unless it's a pork butt or brisket then I'll do Those the night before they go in the smoker.

Smokinman88

I've done it both ways for pork, chicken and beef and honestly I think I prefer how the meat turns out if I season just an hour before vs overnight. Again it all comes down to personal preference.

Big_Jake

I usually rub the night before on ribs,then put them in a food save bag overnight.
When I take them out the next day I apply another layer.But that's just me. :cool:

I rub everything right before just because I don't usually plan ahead. I should try to do it the night before to see the difference, but I guess I am too lazy!

sparky

i did it once last week w/ a tri tip. i must admit the flavor was better. most of the time i don't but them in overnight. i'm a turn the grill on and then rub the meat. how ever it takes the grill to come to temp is how long the meat gets to soak up the rub. done.

Pappymn

One of the main reasons I asked is that I was thinking the salt in the rubs would pull out moisture, which on ribs would not be a positive. So maybe the best answer depends on the size of meat in question. A butt or shoulder could take the salt, but maybe the ribs and chicken can't.

Thanks for all the input.

So Cal Smoker

Large cuts= Yes Small cuts= No On small cuts I want to taste the flavor of the meat not the the rub. The rub is there to enhance the flavor of the meat not over power it.

muebe

I usually just season that morning and leave in the fridge for a few hours for the afternoon/evening cook.

tatersalad

Good thread. I've been putting rub on everything, ribs, shoulder, brisket overnight. I make my own rubs with super fresh herbs from the food co-op, so they're pretty intense. Tends to kinda overpower the meat. I'm gonna just put it on an hour or so before the next few cooks.

Top Bottom