Tomahawk Steak - Malcolm Reed Style

Decided to try a Tomahawk Steak after watching the following Malcolm Reed video:

Tomahawk Ribeye Steak | Grilled Tomahawk Ribeye on the PK Grill - YouTub

Started with a USDA Prime Tomahawk Steak from Costco:

XC7QiDb.jpg

Seasoned with BPS Double Secret and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Looks like a lot, but this is a big piece of meat:

s5CkvVq.jpg

On the MAK 2 Star at 450°F on the grill grates for 2.5 minutes, rotate, then flip and repeat. 10 minutes total and it looks like this. Moved off direct heat, and flame zone covered back up. Dropped temp back to 325°F.

Txbr48k.jpg

Baked Potatoes on, and butter, rosemary, thyme, garlic and EVOO ready for basting. Chef Alarm set to 130°F:

1Pm4BYx.jpg

Steak pulled at 130°F internal and resting:

8RJMndG.jpg

Shrimp with EVOO and BPS Desert Gold on the MAK while the Baked Potatoes are finishing:

RiIGT07.jpg

All plated up with some veggies (a little blurry):

U8i5zt8.jpg

This was excellent. Timing wasn't perfect as the potatoes were not quite how I like them, but everything else was great! Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic, Butter, EVOO basting makes for one delicious steak!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
That steak looks great. Did you cook that on the new flame zone kit or do you have the original? Just wondered. I've seen that video & thought about trying it. How was the basting butter? The crust you attained looks really good! Were you happy with that temp or do you wish you would've went hotter? I think his grates were around 600 or a little above. Didn't know if you reached that on your grates or not?

Thanks for sharing. I'm wanting to try that recipe.

rwalters

Fantastic cook!! The sear I get on my MAK cooking at 450° has been much better than I expected. 450° set temp on a MAK w/ Flame Zone open is impressive as evidenced by your steak :)

Wolverines, I have the old flame zone (#500) and I didn’t measure the temp of the grates with the MAK at 450F. I just know that at 450F on the MAK, the grill grates are plenty hot to get good grill marks and sear. The butter mix is what made this different and was outstanding.

Awesome!! Thanks for getting back. I am definitely going to try this. Yours looks really good and ribeye is my favorite steak!!

Thanks again for sharing

Top Bottom