Took the plunge. MAK #1396 arrived. My cooking will never be the same.

TentHunter

Less than two weeks and you're already hitting them out'a the park! Lime & Coconut flavored fish tacos... with homemade tortillas? WOW, even without a money shot my mouth is watering! YUM!

Question: Did you mix those Jack Daniels pellets in with some other pellets?

One more thing: That pork shoulder was done on the weekend and looks fantabulous, so don't be shy about entering the contest! :)

Sinitron

Hi Tent, yes I used only a handful of the JD pellets. I mixed them in towards the auger at the start of the smoking process with the hickory pellets to try them out and see if I could detect the aroma. Unfortunately with such a long cook time they can't shine on their own, I'll have to experiment with a quicker cook time item.

I'll check out the contest, thanks :)

Edit: Running around is making me desire the wireless add-on module. Keeping my eye out for that thing.

Last edited:

TentHunter

Hi Tent, yes I used only a handful of the JD pellets. I mixed them in towards the auger at the start of the smoking process with the hickory pellets to try them out and see if I could detect the aroma. Unfortunately with such a long cook time they can't shine on their own, I'll have to experiment with a quicker cook time item.

I'll check out the contest, thanks :)

You did it right, loading them into the hopper first. Try mixing a larger batch next time - about 1/2 pound J.D. pellets (about 1/2 bag) with 2 1/2 - 3 lbs of Oak or Hickory. That's usually enough to sustain the JD infused smoke until the meat stops accepting smoke. You should detect a sharpness in the smell of the smoke, which imparts a slightly sweet vanilla-like aroma.

And like Big Poppa said about the contest... We need someone to shake things up a bit! ;)

Top Bottom