Took the Plunge ;)

Just ordered a Mak 1 Star. Im very excited and cant wait to fire it up. I think it should arrive within the week (crosses fingers). pssst...dont tell my wife how much they cost.

INsmoker

BBQdad,
I'm just about to do the same thing. The wife is aware that I'm researching; but not the specifics($$$$$). What else did you order with your 1 STAR?
Mike

What else did you order with your 1 STAR?

Mike....i ordered the 1 star special pack from BP (Is is ok to say who i purchased it from?). I was gonna buy the extra stuff anyway. Dude, I feel your pain about research. Spent a couple of weeks on my decision...went back and forth so many times. I could go on and on about it because its a long and winded tale. My wife would look in on me and just shake her head heh. Bottom line for me was the ability to control tempurature over long periods of time (Brisket/Pork Butt) and have great smoke. Im relatively new to smoking, but only now becoming (-2 for spelling) more comfortable with it coming off my experiences with my electric smoker and a very old and rusty bullet smoker. I do not wish to make your decision for you bc i havent used my Mak yet. I was frustrated with my bullet bc i could not control temp. While my electric smoker provided good control over temp, however, I cannot get decent smoke with it. Dont know why and i've tried. I'll post my first impressions upon using it a few times if that will help. Good luck :)

Sorry but i need to add this one extra line or two. I wasnt "just" the ability for smoking that sold me on the Mak or pellet grills. I wanted to also be able to grill....i guess i want the best of both worlds all in one cooker.

About as far east as one can get, about 2 hours from Lexington. Not too many BBQers in this part of the country and even less pelletheads...Im not sure, but I think i'll be the only one in my area. Maybe MakDaddy can tell me how close the nearest Mak owner is.

INsmoker

BBQdad,
Don't worry about you making my decision, I made it. It's going to be the 1 STAR I'm just playing around with my Shopping Cart now. Dude, if it only took you 2 weeks to decide, then I way over analyised this subject. Probably tried to hard to "read between the lines" of the post on the blogs. Not any pelletheads in central Indiana. I did get a look at 2 China made PGs and didn't like what I saw. I also didn't like that I knew more about the units than the sales people did.
Mike

Elderberry

I spent at least a month trying to decide. Read as many threads as I could find. Visited MAK and Memphis web sites night after night. Loaded and emptied the shopping cart on Big Poppas' web site so many times I think I knocked his server off line a couple of times.

I'm in the middle of Illinois so it gets cold here which made the insulated Memphis Pro attractive. On the other hand, the MAK 2 Star has some really attractive features between the Pellet Boss and being able to cold smoke in the warming box.

In the end, I suspect a MAK or a Memphis either one would be a "right" decision... But it sure was a challenge making up my mind. I've never seen a pellet grill in my life and there isn't a dealer of any brand in this area with stock on the floor so I was buying based on faith in the people on this forum, BP, and Mak Daddy. My grill gets here Wednesday....:D

INsmoker....Analysis pyralysis heh....sounds a lot like me, and i lived to tell the tale. Hope you do too.

Elderberry...not you too?! For me buying a car is waaaaay easier. No dealer close to me either. Everyone grills in my area, cant even find pellets at Low's. I first looked at GMG, but in order to touch and look at one I would have to drive 4 hrs out of state. No internet purchases either, dealer only. I figured it wasn't reasoable to do that, so I stumbled on BP and the forums. I was determined to not be an easy sell. At least in my mind anyway. Its a huge leap of faith as you say and i agree.

Good Luck and Good Cookin :)

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

I love these stories and the ones after the grill arrives even more :)
Welcome to the MAK family (all 3 of you!) and a big thanks for believing in us, we won't let you down!

Chili Head

Elderberry where in Illinois are ya?
I think I'm the only MAK owner East of Springfield lol. The only dealers here sell poopers made in china and no one sells the pellets I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elderberry

Elderberry where in Illinois are ya?
I think I'm the only MAK owner East of Springfield lol. The only dealers here sell poopers made in china and no one sells the pellets I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're just a bit north of Peoria. People aren't exactly tripping over pellet grills around here are they..?? :eek:

There is a CS/Louisiana dealer in Peoria. Started out as a Traeger dealer then switched product lines. I stopped in and talked to him a couple of times. He offered to let me come over to his place and cook on his grill. Nice guy...

But the more time I spent on this forum the more obvious the strong confidence and relationship MAK owners have with Mak Daddy, BP and Jessie. (I would say the same about Memphis owners/"Memphis"/BP/Jessie). So it appeared to me that you get a top line product along with great support from the dealer and manufacturer, along with a group of enthusiasts that seem almost like an extended family. I didn't find anywhere else that offered that combination.....

EB i couldnt agree more...good luck with your new grill...hope it arrives on time....mine's been stuck in portland since Friday...so bad news :(......dont know what happend...ups says "an incident has occurred which may result in service delay". Oh well...trying to stay positive heh

So Cal Smoker

Welcome to the MAK family guys. You all have made a very difficult choice, however, after you make a few meals on your new MAK you will be totally in love with your new cooker, and your wife will love you and the MAK.

Top Bottom