Torn between two

Godzgfz

I have been wanting a pellet smoker now for a few years, and I will finaly have saved up enought to get one. I truly would like a MAK 2 Star but...it's a little bit over my budget. I would really like to give BP my business but the next best thing isn't for sale on the BP website and the MAK 1 Star I think will be a bit too small.

I have read countless forums posts and never have heard anything bad from either of my selections...but would truly like to do business here.

Will MAK ever do a non stainless steel model? I know that SS drives up the price of the MAK's and I really like the bling on the 2 Star...just not the price. I am still about a month to a month and a half before I make my purchase.

My 2nd choice from the 2 Star is the Yoder YS 640 and in my price range as well as size.

Still torn in the PNW!

CMack1

I went through the same dilemma. I purchased a two star. It looks pretty small from the outside, but with the full second shelf it has a ton of room. It's very deceiving. I can fit six big pork butts, or 10 racks of spare ribs (in racks.) I must agree with others on this site, my Mak makes a ton of smoke. Chases friends off the patio. Couldn't ask for better.

Gregoryalln

I debated for over a month on what Mak to get. I didn't decide until I went to the corporate office and saw both side by side. I liked the SS on the Mak 2, pellet hopper, and ash clean out, but in the end decided to go with the 1 star. I have just as much cash into it as a 2 star, but I'm very happy with it. It holds a lot more than I thought it would.

Before I was sold on a Mak I spent probably 2-3 months researching grills. I had broken my collar bone, so I really had nothing else todo. I was sold on another grill, but everything I was reading pointed me to the Mak. If I were you I would go with a 1 star, I think you would be extremely happy.

Gregoryalln

oh yeah, The local hardware store is currently cooking 50 lbs of butt on their 1 star. unless you are into catering large groups 50 pounds is more than enough to feed 125 people.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I cook most of my meals on the one star and also copete with it. The interesting thing about maks is that with the addititonal shelves you have tons of room to cook.

I dont want to start a flame war...no pun intended but I think that Yoder is a pretty grill and the mak is a cooks tool.

MossyMO

I own a Yoder YS640 and love it, but I have never cooked on a Mak. Be interesting to hear from someone that has cooked off each for a fair comparison.

When I was researching I knew a few Yoder owners which helped lean me towards the decision I made. I also compared many different pellet machines in the units weight, materials they were constructed with, high/low temp capability and what increments the temp can be adjust too including how they held temp, cooking area available, warranty, options (2nd shelf) and accessories and of course price.

In my opinion the 2 pellet machines you are looking at would easily make a top 5 list of best pellet grill for the money list, either one you choose you will be more than happy with!

TentHunter

There's not a ton of difference between the cooking surface area between the two MAK's.

2 Star = 22" Wide x 19.5" Deep

1 Star = 20.5" wide X 18.5" Deep

I haven't had any trouble getting plenty of food going on the 1 Star especially with the upper racks.

It wasn't until after I got my MAK that I truly realized the reason behind the price. There is absolutely NOTHING cheap about the MAK's. Every little detail is the highest possible quality & construction. A couple quick examples would include the fact that they use aluminized steel (which should virtually never rust), stainless steel grates, stainless steel fire pot, etc. They are really built to last.

jimsbarbecue

We have two MAK two Star Grills. The first one is one of the orginal 75. There are a lot of great features you already know about the two star. One a lot of buyers forget is that as of now every MAK made can be updated to be just like a MAK being sold today. In fact our first MAK serial#68 Has the new style full size flame zone in it as I write this post. I have been able to update the pellet boss from being able to program a three stage cook to a five stage cook. If you lived closer I would let you use one of our MAK Grills for a few weeks and you would be hooked.

Top Bottom