Traeger 075 - uneven temperatures

Canyonier

Hi,
On my Traeger Texas grill (model 075) I have noticed that when there is no outside breeze the temperature indicated on the digital controller (lefthand side of cooking area) is about the same as the thermometer reading (righthand side of cooking area). But, on breezy days, it's almost always a breezy day here, if the controller is set for, say 250 deg, the digital controller indicates about 250 deg but the righthand side thermometer shows up to 370 deg., a 120 degree difference.
I recently smoked two 16 lb.. turkeys. Both had been brined and were placed side by side in the Traeger. There was a slight breeze that day. I had the temperature set for 250 deg. By the time the turkey on the left side was done, and it did turn out perfect, the other one was way, way overcooked and the outer layer was crunchy.
Any ideas on how to correct, or at least improve, this situation?
Also, I notice that the temp probe for the digital controller is mounted next to the cooking grid and extends 6 1/2 inches in the air. I.e., the end of the probe is 6 1/2 inches above the cooking grid. If the temperature indicator reads 250 deg, does that mean it is 250 deg at the tip of the probe (in this case 6 1/2 inches above cooking grid) or at the base of the probe (at cooking grid level)? Does anyone know?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Glenn

TentHunter

Try putting some kind of pan under the grate on the left side with a little water in it. The pan itself will act as a baffle and the moisture in the grill will also help even out the temps. It's low tech but may work better than you might think.

Give it a try and let us know how it works. Your results may help someone else with the same problem.

Top Bottom