Tri-tip ad-lib

squirtthecat

A buddy of mine and I went up to a big cookout (Smoke Out) in Iowa this weekend.

Surveying the food that was cooked/being cooked, we decided a tri-tip was in order. (I had carried 3 frozen CAB ones up for the host)

After we move some meatloaf pans and chuck roasts out of the way, onto the Traeger we go. Frozen solid as a log.

IMGP1564.JPG

Maybe 45 minutes later, lay on some Santa Maria Rub and jam a probe in.

IMGP1593.JPG

Getting closer...

IMGP1669.JPG

Pulled at 125-ish, wrapped and let rest for about 15 minutes.

My buddy Hal breaking it down...

IMGP1687.JPG

I didn't get back in time for the 'plated' shot, as it was hammered quickly. PDG!

Pappymn

Seeing more of this smoker dethawing method. Is this your preferred method or is frozen what was available?

ACW3

Alls well that ends well!! Someone said that some place, I believe. Looks good to me. I'll bet it tasted really good, too.

Art

TentHunter

That tri-tip looks so dang good, but it's driving me nuts...

Tri-tips were available for while around here, but now I can't find them to save my life!

Moomtaz

I want to be sure I understand you correctly. You placed a rock solid frozen tri tip on the smoker? At what temp? Have you tried this thawing method with any other type of meat? Was there any downside to putting it on there frozen? Did you rub or season it while frozen or did you pull it back out and season it after it was thawed? Sorry for all the questions but I have never thought of trying this.

squirtthecat

Yep, frozen solid. That Traeger was running around 235°. After about an hour it was thawed enough that I could jam a Maverick probe in. That's when I hit it with the Santa Maria rub.

I do this all the time with pork butts and turkey breast roasts (boulders), take them right out of the freezer and toss on the smoker.

With butts, I slather them with either Molasses or Sriracha, and then apply a thick rub. Shut the lid and check back in 11 hours.

Moomtaz

I have a brisket point sitting in my deep freeze. I might have to give that a try! Thanks for the info

Top Bottom