trimmins

bricklayer

just got my first smoker,big feed coming labor day. any one have ideas for the trimmins from the ribs? would like to smoke & serve, can i cook the same way? longer or shorter time?

squirtthecat

You can cook them right along with the ribs, or do them hot and fast if you are going to rub your ribs and let them sit overnight.

They make for a great snack, and easy to test new rubs on. I did a bunch of rib tips this weekend at 375°. Just cook to IT instead of going by time. Didn't take long at all.

TentHunter

Like Squirt said, I usually either cook rib tips right along with the ribs, giving them the same treatment, or save them up and cook a bunch up together. The honey BBQ rib tips I did recently were so good they disappeared quicker than the ribs.

The skirt flap is great to cut up for stir fry or saved and ground up for sausage.

One thing I NEVER do is just throw the trimmings away. Meat is getting way to expensive to just toss into the trash can.

squirtthecat

They make great smoked rib tacos as well. We throw the pieces/parts in a crock pot to soften the meat so you can shred it later.

scooter

I should preface this by saying I cook my ribs hot and fast. 275-300 for anywhere from 3 to 4 hours max. Tips take more time than that to cook properly to get them tender. If you don't take the time, they are tough, fatty and full of cartilage. For that reason I toss the tips in the trash.
Too much cartilage and fat and takes more time to get them tender than I'm willing to spend on them given the cartilage and fat ratio to meat. They are, after all, part of the brisket of the hog.
The ribs are the show. If I made sausage I'd grind the tips up for that but aidell's make sausage better than I can so I don't need them for that. Any other way of cooking them brings in all that fat and cartilage so, like I said, I just toss them or I buy my spares already trimmed StL style.

Last edited:

TentHunter

I should preface this by saying I cook my ribs hot and fast. 275-300 for anywhere from 3 to 4 hours max. Tips take more time than that to cook properly to get them tender. If you don't take the time...

Yeah, hot & fast may not be a good way to cook them. I can't say because my ribs usually take 4 1/2 to 5 hours (smoke for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, foil with braising liquid for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, back on the grill to glaze & finish).

I give the tips the exact same treatment and they come out like this:
HBBQRIB7.JPG

So a longer cook time is definitely the way I do them. No way are they the star of the show (they're not nearly as pretty), but still mighty good eating in my book. :)

sparky

i cook my rib trimmings w/ my ribs and that way i get some samples for me while i am cooking. more better for sparky.

So Cal Smoker

I like Scooter cook my ribs hot and fast 275-300. However, I take the Trimmings and vacuum seal then freeze until I'm cooking something low and slow like a butt.

Top Bottom