Turkey Day photo thread...

JD McGee

Show 'em if ya got 'em! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
The brine...
y6y2e5ag.jpg

The bird...
bepehasa.jpg

The smoker...
syqymeta.jpg

Stay tuned...
www.winecountryq.com

I am jealous! As usual on Thanksgiving, my wife insisted on cooking the turkey in the house so the house smelled good. Still haven't come up with a good enough argument to let me cook it on the MAK. Maybe I have an argument now, because our turkey didn't look anywhere close to yours JD!! What color! Thanks for helping me build my case.

Sinitron

I read up on turkey tips in the Hall of Fame section for a while, it helped a lot. The big decision for me was, get a big bird and deal with dried out legs/wings while waiting for the center to get cooked, or go with smaller birds and Spatchcock for better overall performance.

I ended up going in both directions to keep 2 sides of the family happy! Why do one turkey when you can do two?

All natural turkeys:
w3AKAar.jpg

One traditional pan and seasoning, and my first attempt at Spatchcock cut w/ money rub. No brine needed:
7aZwx3t.jpg

The cook here on a 35°F day:
Kd81a3z.jpg

Delicious results:
IoHnxCV.jpg

The spatchcock bird won hands down.

JD McGee

I am jealous! As usual on Thanksgiving, my wife insisted on cooking the turkey in the house so the house smelled good. Still haven't come up with a good enough argument to let me cook it on the MAK. Maybe I have an argument now, because our turkey didn't look anywhere close to yours JD!! What color! Thanks for helping me build my case.

Lol...my pleasure! :D

www.winecountryq.com

Lothar1974

No turkey this year :)

15 pound packer trimmed down to about 12.5 pounds. Rubbed with a modified version of Big Bad Beef Rub off Amazing Ribs website. Wrapped and in the fridge for 24 hours.
Started out at 180 for 3 hours then up to 225 for rest of the cook. On at 9 PM Wednesday, wrapped in butcher paper at 8 AM. Pulled of at Noon and wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler till 2:30 PM. Came out super moist and great flavor. 9 of us, no left overs :p

Ready to start smoking
20131127_210931_zps5b2bc061.jpg

Foil and rest time
20131128_114133_zps14e04dc6.jpg

Ready to cut
837670550_zps8a3bb783.jpg

837656822_zps624e1e4b.jpg

Top Bottom