Two weeks in Chicago. What to do? Any must see BBQ joints?

TTNuge

Last time I was in Chicago it was to visit Wrigley field and the Cubby Bear and we didn't get to do much of anything else. Leaving in less than a week for two weeks of training. I'll be there by myself, staying downtown and will be without a car except for maybe a rental on the weekend. Other than pizza and Italian Beef sandwhiches is there anything else I shouldn't miss? Is the Shedd Aquarium worth the cost to go see? Any recommendations for decent middle-class places to eat downtown?

Thanks in Advance!

squirtthecat

I'll make you a list of our favorite places.. Where exactly are you staying? In the Loop? Mag Mile? River North?

I think the Shedd is worth the price of admission. You might even be able to get a combo ticket to get you into the Adler Planetarium and the Field Museum as well. (all are on the same sprawling campus)

TTNuge

Staying in the Loop. And I love aquariums so I'm glad to hear it's probably worth it. Haven't been to a Planetarium in years and I sold my telescopes years ago so I'll definitely look into a combo ticket.

squirtthecat

Ok. Lots of options there. I'll make a list tonight of reasonable places to eat.

Not sure about BBQ... There might be one or two worth visiting. You'll definitely want a CTA pass so you can hop on the L and/or buses.

KristenBPS

OOOOOOH, I loved the Shedd aquarium. I love all things ocean and spent a very long, wonderful day exploring their amazing displays. Drove the relatives I was visiting crazy, behaving like a wonder-struck child:).

cowdog

Navy Pier is always fun. I also like the scenic boat tours. That skyline from the water is amazing.

squirtthecat

Not BBQ, but some of our favorite places... (and reasonably priced)

#1 for Breakfast/Lunch is Beef & Brandy on State. It's underneath the Palmer House. Cheap eats and massive portions.

Gino's (up near Water Tower Place) has awesome Italian Beef. They are famous for their massive deep dish pizzas (plan on a 45 minute wait if you order one), but I'm not a fan of that kind. Giordano's on N Rush is another popular one. And Pizzeria Uno/Duo, etc. People line up on the sidewalks to get in.

You can't walk 3 blocks without passing a hot dog place. Gold Coast Dogs seems to be the most popular.

Dinner would have to be Rosebud on Rush. Italian. You can spend as much or as little as you want at this place. It's North of the river a ways, but walkable.

Italian Village (Loop) is 3 restaurants in one. I've never been able to get in the door, so that must say something.

Casual Dinner (and great beer) is Rock Bottom Brewery. (River North) Check out the carrot cake... It's like 10" tall.

Quick lunch would have to be Potbelly Sandwich Works. They are scattered all over the place.

If you want to splurge one night, I would go for Lawry's Prime Rib. WOW. I'd skip lunch that day if I were you..

Like I said, those are our personal favorites. Heck, I could eat 3 meals a day at Beef & Brandy.. (or at least a big breakfast, and then go back later for a steak and a beer)

Check out the Chicago City Pass for reduced price tickets to various attractions. It you plan on going to any/all of those places, it's definitely worth the price.

TTNuge

Thanks STC. Definitely some good sounding places to check out. Prime Rib will definitely be on the list. I'm hoping that during the week breakfast and lunch are covered by the hotel and the training class so that just leaves dinner and weekends. I am planning right now to spend one full day on the weekend at the Shedd aquarium so we'll see how much time that leaves me. I'm hoping the two weeks go by very fast.

squirtthecat

Get to the Shedd early... It gets crowded in the afternoons.
Wander through Millennium Park and check out The Bean as well - it's pretty cool.

You can rent 'Zip Cars' at various locations. (hourly rentals, you swipe your credit card on the car door to get in) Check out their website for details.

It's way North of the Loop, but the Lincoln Park Zoo is really nice. You could probably navigate up there on the CTA with a bit of research.

And if you get really bored, the Mobster Tour is neat. They pick you up on a black school bus (dressed as Al Capone, of course) and take you all over downtown and parts of the south side showing off the various landmarks. My wife and friends went on it and really enjoyed it.

Top Bottom