Vacuum Sealer

Kite

Well I decided there was no way that I was going to be lugging this thing around the house and was not going to leave it taking up half the counter space in the kitchen.. so I made a roll around cart for it - love it!!

DSC03537_zps51fe008d.jpg

Ducaticraig

With all the hot air my girlfriend blows out if I can get her a large ziplock bag and a straw, when she takes a deep breath and inhales I will have her vaccum seal a bag for me and save tons of money. LOL

God I sure hope she never gets online to read these posts.

Seriously, thanks for the information above, I'm in the market for a vacuum sealer and this post has given me some valuable info to think about.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Salmonsmoker

With all the hot air my girlfriend blows out if I can get her a large ziplock bag and a straw, when she takes a deep breath and inhales I will have her vaccum seal a bag for me and save tons of money. LOL

God I sure hope she never gets online to read these posts.

Seriously, thanks for the information above, I'm in the market for a vacuum sealer and this post has given me some valuable info to think about.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Craig, if she can draw a whole atmosphere, you're on to something buddy. Or off. It could go either way.:D:(

Kite

That looks cool. Does Mrs. Kite like the location next to the beautiful piano? ;)

Uummm.. no, she wasn't home from work yet. But she sure loves the roll around cart!! And it has soft rubber wheels so the floor is safe :)

flypig

Kite, I'm jealous of the piano! I would love to have one of those next to the big Hammond in my big room. Not just that, but the sealer and the cart, too! You did a really nice job on it. I wish I possessed your woodworking skills.

jimsbarbecue

I agree with BP that's a nice looking cart the way you multiple purposes it to hold the meat grinder and cutting blocks is a good use of space.

Kite

Kite, I'm jealous of the piano! I would love to have one of those next to the big Hammond in my big room. Not just that, but the sealer and the cart, too! You did a really nice job on it. I wish I possessed your woodworking skills.

It is a beautiful instrument - it is a 7' Schimmel K230. It has a classic mellow German tone.. not the super bright (and obnoxious IMHO) tone of a Yamaha. Don’t get me wrong – this thing is VERY powerful – it fills our entire house. Jan (Mrs. Kite) is out there tearing it up right now. It’s actually the one thing in the house that we fight over.. “it’s my turn, NO, it’s MY turn!” :)

flypig

That's awesome! Outstanding choice of instrument! There are some great videos online from the company.

I wish my wife shared my love, instead of just tolerating my musical hobbies. :) Gives me something to do while the smoker is going. I can see the Yoder out the window of the music room.

Saxguy

Kite, I just came across this thread. I have a nice little piano here, too. We have concerts in my house by international pianists. Anyone in the vicinity of NJ who might want to come by for one, drop me a PM and I'll keep you posted. We try to do it 2-3 times per year. I agree about the European sound. There's an interesting story on how I came to own this 9'6" Imperial...

pianoside1.jpg

piano3small.jpg

front1.jpg

Kite

That is a beautiful instrument Saxguy! We have concerts in our home every day.. but it is just Mrs. Kite and I.. We do have couple of friends that play as well so it is a great time when they come for dinner.

TrickyDick

I ended up getting the FoodSaver from Sam's club for just over $100. Initially thought it was fine, but I think I am in the market for something sturdier, that can handle wet food better, handle food for use in a Sous Vide if I ever get one/make one, and package the mylar Oxygen barrier bags that hops usually come in (that's my fave hobby - homebrewing). The Foodsaver can't handle the mylar bags - the heat sealer too weak. The foodsaver gets stuck on easy packed home ground burger patties and other semi wet items, which is a real pain. It also does a piss poor job of vac sealing specialty grain poly bags (used in brewing) which are nearly totally dry.

I cannot imagine buying something that is as huge as what Kite is using there. Should've listened to the "pain once" principle. Well I;m not making any moves until 2014, I'm on spending lockdown for such things.

TD

Kite

Well TD, if you are going to abide by the "pain once" principle... you won't buy anything other than what I bought. I will grant you, it was definitely expensive (and big!)! BUT, it is one of the best purchases I have made in a long time. I literally use it all the time. The bags are next door to free (less than 3 cents each) and it is so easy to use. I too am a home brewer and I seal my extra hops as well. I never used my food saver because I dreaded fiddling with it.. but I use my Vacmaster all the time.

Saxguy

I have the 112 and like it but I haven't had to pack anything too big. I use mine for sous vide preps. If I had to do it again I would go for the 215.

Quick tip - make sure whatever you're putting in the chamber is cold.

Kite, where do you get your bags?

Kite

If I told you I would be breaking the rules of the forum.. so drop me a PM if you want to know and I will fill you in. Basically, I bought them from the same place that I bought the sealer - the least expensive place you will find for Vacmaster on the web (hopefully that will give you some insight as to where I got the whole thing).

Kite

BTW - why does it have to be cold? I don't know that I have ever sealed anything that was hot, but am curious as to why it is an issue.

Saxguy

From Keller's book "Under Pressure:"

...It's also essential to keep in mind that the food must be cold when it's packed and sealed. This is far more important than most people realize. Bruno Goussault says that when he trains chefs in sous vide technique, the number one error they make is not chilling the food properly before it's sealed. The problem is related to the fact that in very low pressure situations, water vaporizes at a lower temperature. To demonstrate, Goussault will put one pan of cold water and another one of warm water in a vacuum chamber. When the chamber is locked and the vacuum turned on, the warm water will begin to boil vigorously almost immediately, as the water vaporizes. When warm food is put in a vacuum, the same vaporization will happen, drying it out and affecting its texture.

This is why, in addition to safety issues, when one of these recipes calls for a piece of meat to be seared before it is cooked sous vide, it must be thoroughly chilled for several hours, or overnight, before sealing it. If you don't have the refrigerator space to allow the meat to cool unvovered, put the meat in a Zip-loc bag and submerge it in an ice bath until it's thoroughly chilled before packing - below 6 degrees Celcius (42.8 degrees Farenheit)."

Top Bottom