Value per Flavor Molecule 101, or Holy Chicken Batman!!!

smilinphil

Today’s lesson will demonstrate this simple scientific concept using Quadman’s chicken lollipops, which have an extremely high VPFM.

One thing we can all learn as humans is restraint. Me more than most. I talk too much, I spend too much money and I eat too much food. Oh, and I spoil my dogs. More about dogs and VPFM in a minute. And because I can’t shut up, I need to explain where the Value per Flavor Molecule or VPFM concept started and how it has transcended to Canine Cuisine. Please exit now if you don’t like stories with lots of words.

About 10 years ago I had a plan to drive to Chicago from Colorado with my son Jake. A friend Dave that used to live across the street from sptuck has been in the food and meat business forever, and because we were planning on stopping the first night in Omaha, I rang him up for some advice on where we should eat. He recommended the Chophouse at the Paxton Hotel. We got there and I looked at the menu and cursed Dave heavily. Ala carte steaks were in the $50 range and I gotta have veggies and a martini. Veggies maybe, martini for sure. That would be $75 each plus tip. Yikes. Dave clearly was on an expense account whenever he went to the Paxton.

Jake said “Dad, you need a drink. We will be fine. Let’s split something! How about this 12oz ribeye and these crazy hashbrowns. I’ll have water and you can have a drink. You really need one! I bet we can get out of here for $75!” I did not laugh out loud.

It was the most unbelievably tasty steak, the hashbrowns were ridiculous and I would recommend this to anyone. Not only were we pleasantly stuffed, but we invented the concept of Value per Flavor Molecule that night. It was off the chart!!! It doesn’t matter if you are spending $0.25 on a piece of chicken on the smoker or $50 on an excellent cut of meat at the Paxton, just think about what you spent on each flavor molecule. At the Paxton the cost of each flavor molecule was very small and value very high because there was so much flavor.

Restraint Phil. Restraint. Stop reading if I’m too verbose. That’s a great to justify being verbose. “I told them too stop reading if I’m too verbose.”

Now to the Canine connection with VPFM. We have two Weimeraner dogs. Stella and Agnes. Aggie (63 in dog years) always looks sad however her tail is wagging at 200 mph proving she is very happy. Stella (90) will barely eat anything she doesn’t steal.

aggie%20and%20stella_zpswjfujjku.jpg

Even though her menu now has rice made with chicken broth added to her kibbles, it isn’t tasty to her and she is losing weight every day.

vp%202015-02-21%2013.15.24%20stella%20wont%20eat_zpss4uhvv2i.jpg

Aggie snarfs hers up immediately, Stella goes back to bed.

This whole story started because I wanted to make some Quadman chicken lollipops and found 4 drumsticks on sale for $1.20. I always have VPFM on the brain. Then I saw a whole chicken on sale for $3.50 and I wanted to practice smoking a whole chicken and this seemed like something Stella would gladly eat. Phil, you are a dumbass. Of course dogs like chicken.

I lolipopped the drumsticks (note: easy with a really sharp knife and a little elbow grease) and applied my favorite dry rub and stuck in the fridge over night. Quad must have used free range organic drumsticks because I couldn’t get mine to stand up. Necessity caused me to invent the onion slice lollipop stand by removing just enough inner rings for a perfect fit.

vp%202015-02-21%2011.36.33%20rubbed%20lollipops_zpskpliks5q.jpg

The whole chicken had zero seasoning applied because I would never want to upset the dogs' delicate tummies. I smoked it in a foil pan because cheap chicken seems to ooze a lot. As per Quad’s recipe, onto the smoker at 300F until the internal temp of the pops reached 165. I then applied sauce and went to 175.

vp%202015-02-21%2011.43.27%20start%20smoking_zpsz78u1bft.jpg

Holy chicken! These were awesome!!! The VPFM meter was pegged.

vp%202015-02-21%2013.47.14%20halfway%20lollipops_zps0sq1fstv.jpg

I then waited for the whole chicken to get to 175 in the thigh, let it rest and de-boned it. Zero seasoning except the smoky flavor. Double holy chicken batman!!! Look at what $3.50 got me!

vp%202015-02-21%2015.52.21%20chicken%20smoked%20to%20175_zpss940bhmh.jpg

vp%202015-02-21%2016.17.05%20chicken%20deboned_zpsdvuxhd3a.jpg

I plated/bowled Stella and Aggie’s dinner and they are barking about the VPFM to the neighbor dogs. I think that’s what they are barking about.

vp%202015-02-22%2008.38.08%20dinner%20for%20a%20queen_zpsmq5dlo04.jpg

I would appreciate any high VPFM ideas people have, and thanks for listening!!

Top Bottom