Venison burgers

Pete

I have a ton of ground venison from a deer and decided to try making burgers. Because venison is so lean and has such a distinct flavor I decided to add some beef fat. Not only does this ensure that the venison is not too lean, it also adds a bit of familiar beef flavor to the meat, making the venison easier to eat for those who haven't tried it before. I went to my local butcher and got 5lbs of fat for $0.99 - tossed it in the freezer for a day and then used it on a cheese grater when it was hard enough.

Begin with approximately 1lb ground venison, 1 cup of ground beef fat, 1 onion (if desired), and salt/pepper.

1863.jpg

Work the beef fat into the venison.

Cut a complete 1/8" ring from the middle of the onion and chop. Add a 2nd ring if you like onion.

1864.jpg

Work into beef and form into 3 patties.

1866.jpg

Blast on the grill 550* at approximately 5minutes a side.

1865.jpg

Add your favorite fixings and Enjoy!

1862.jpg

Sorry for my long hiatus!

CarterQ

Welcome back Pete! Good looking burgers there, when they look like that you make it easy for someone to think about trying venison.

TentHunter

I saw this posted in the BPS Grillin' Gallery and thought, "Hey, Pete's back!" As good as those burgers look, I reckon we can forgive ya for the long hiatus ;)!

I love the flavor of venison burgers, especially when they're kept simple like that. It really lets all that good venison flavor shine.

HogSmoker

Pete ..Have you ever made summer sausage out of deer? We have some Mennonites not to far from where I live who processes meat. They can make summer sausage out the deer and I'm telling ya its better than anything you could eat from the deer IMO. They make it mild or hot 2.00 bucks a stick. A pack of Ritz crackers and a stick of the sausage and you got a meal...

Susan

Oh my! Lovely venison burgers! I never thought about adding the fat. I used to mix the ground venison with a little ground pork!

Pete

Thanks all! Hey, I see a new CT member on here now...

Pete ..Have you ever made summer sausage out of deer? We have some Mennonites not to far from where I live who processes meat. They can make summer sausage out the deer and I'm telling ya its better than anything you could eat from the deer IMO. They make it mild or hot 2.00 bucks a stick. A pack of Ritz crackers and a stick of the sausage and you got a meal...

I've cooked the backstrap, steaks, and made chili (with beans), and this was my first burger attempt, but that has been it so far. I've heard sausage is the way to go. My drummer has a machine to make it, maybe I'll have to borrow it and try out a few recipes.

cowgirl

Looks and sounds so tasty Pete!! I still have a freezer full of burger from this last season. You've inspired me to make some burgers. :)
If you're interested in some venison brats here are the last ones I did... http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/some-foot-long-beer-brats-465/
For the brats I mixed two parts of my venison burger with one part pork.. Made a slurry with my spices and one cup of beer.....

1 tsp allspice
1 tsp crushed caraway
1 tsp marjoram
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp salt
this was for about 3 lbs of meat I do a fry test (fry up a patty to test the flavor) Then let the brat meat chill overnight.

also...this is good summer sausage recipe..

3lb venison burger
1 cup water
1 tsp. mustard seed
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. onion flakes
2 TBs. Tender Quick
It's best when smoked

just some options
Thanks again for the inspiration!!

Top Bottom