wagyu brisket

booboo

I am going to order a wagyu brisket from Big Papa's and want to impress some friends. So far my plan is to rub it the day before, smoke it at 275 until it gets a nice crust, wrap it tightly in foil with a splash of a smoky dark beer I made, then put it in the oven at 275 until it is done. Any suggestions or recommendations? What rub should I order to use with it? I plan to use the perfext mix pellets from cookinpellets.com.

booboo

Any recomendation for a rub? I have some Bad Byron's Butt Rub on hand but I am almost out of it. Any recomendation on a rub to put on this? How much and when?

TentHunter

Another good rub from BPS: Smokin' Guns "Gun Powder'. It has a good bold flavor with a nice balance of heat for a little bit of a kick with just a hint of sweet.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/rubs/smokin-39-guns-bbq-gun-powder

There are different schools of thought on this, but I don't like applying rub ahead of time because the salt & sugar tend to draw moisture out and I want that brisket to retain as much moisture as possible.

If I'm getting up early to put it on the cooker then the night before I prep/trim the brisket, put it on a cookie sheet & cover in plastic wrap. Then into the fridge so it's ready to go.

In the morning, all I have to do is take the brisket out, uncover & apply the rub, put it on the cooker, wash the cookie sheet, DONE! It's quick & no hassle!

I put the brisket on while it and the cooker are both still cold. The longer it takes for the brisket to reach an I.T. of 140° the more smoke it can absorb.

I agree..."Money" IMO a very unique tasting rub. I've tried it on steaks, chops, ribs and boston butt (not on brisket....yet!!). All came out excellent!

booboo

Do you guys use mustard or olive oil to get the rub to stick?

Do you recomend a sauce to serve with it?

Last edited:

booboo

I have read a lot of posts about smoking at 170 for the first couple hours. Worth while? Also anyone recommend a sauce to go with the brisket?

Top Bottom