Wanabe pellet smoker

booboo

I have the go ahead from the wife to buy a pellet smoker. I just can't make up my mind on which one. I have Treager dealer in my town but am not sure about the quality. If I buy a Treager it will be the lil tex elite. I am leaning towards the Yoder 480. The problem is there seems to be little feedback on the product. I do not have the cash to spend on a real nice grill like a MAK. I am looking in the $1000 range or less but am willing to go to the $1200 range like the Yodar if it is worth it.

CarterQ

Welcome aboard! Take a look at the MAK 1 star, it is a great grill that can do almost anything you would want and it's a smoking machine. Seems like Yoder has had a tough time transitioning into the pellet fired world.

Last edited:
Congrats on the approval from your wife! That was half the battle for me. I agree with Carter. Take a look at the MAK. It may be more, but I am sure your wife will approve once you get it. Mine has! From pulled pork, to Sparky's FL ribs, to Carter's cobbler. It can do it all! I think the cobbler sold my wife that it was the right decision! You can grill, smoke, or bake, all on the same cooker. How great is that!:D:D:D

booboo

Can you tell me a little about the MAK. I know it is supposed to be one of the best name brands. My neighbor has a Treager and it seems to be a little flimsy, kind of like a BBQ you would buy from Home Depot. I was attracted to the Yoder because it is solidly built. I want something that is going to last a long time. Especially when I am spending this kind of cash.

Deb

Can you tell me a little about the MAK. I know it is supposed to be one of the best name brands. .

welcome booboo. I have a traeger but have seen Nepas' MAK 2 star - there is no comparison in the construction of the two, the MAK is far superior.

With your budget I would look look at the 1 star.

TentHunter

Welcome to the forum! :)

The Yoders are suppose to be built like a tank, but they're so new that there's just not a lot of feedback or history yet.

I agree with the others. If you're willing to go $1200 why not look at...

the Memphis Select, $1199:
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/grills-smokers/memphis-select-400-series

or, for $100 more you can get a MAK 1 Star General, $1299, which has a lot of options you can add later:
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/grills-smokers/mak-grill-1-star-general-671

Last edited:

Rip

Welcome to the forum! The Pellet Boss sets the MAK line apart from the field...so, give the MAK 1 star a serious look.

jimsbarbecue

We own two MAK 2 Stars. My Father and Grandfather were machinists .They would have been impressed with the fit and finish of the grill as I am.

Spinny

Welcome booboo! I own a Memphis Advantage and love it. I have two close friends that own MAKs and have had many smoke sessions with them. Both are GREAT pellet smokers. Either way I highly suggest buying form bigpoppasmokers.com They have great value added packages and five star customer service!

booboo

I am hoping to order one over the weekend. Just having a hard time making up my mind. I think I am leaning towards the MAK 1 star

booboo

I am having a hard time deciding, probably because I am new to smoking and do not know what I want or what is important. I am leaning towards the MAK 1 star and the Yoder 480. I like the look, quality of the body (10 gauge steel) of the Yoder and the fact that it goes to 600 degrees. We like to cook steaks and burgers so I think the 600 degrees would be nice. Also we are at 5000 ft elevation and my guess is the smokers will not get as hot here as in lower elevations. I like the idea of the controller on the MAK. Anyone have comments on these features. The price is about $100 difference including shipping so price isn’t a consideration.

booboo

Got the Yoder and it is real nice. It is built like it should be in my opinion. Every aspect of it is built to last, it even has real rubber wheels. It comes with a front and side racks standard and they are strong enough to use to lift and move the grill. It keeps the temperature real accuruite and in a real tight range, probably because of the 10 guage steel. I am very pleased with it and am really pleased with the look. It looks like a cool grill not just some hoped up Geroge Forman. It was a hard decision between the MAK and the Yoder but I think I made the right choice. I am sure the MAK is a great grill and I am sure I would have been pleased with it if I had chosen it.

BBQHobby

I am also torn between the Yoder 640 and the MAK 1 as I am also a first time pellet smoker buyer. Any regrets?

Thanks

Chili Head

Welcome and congrats on your new pellet grill!
You're going to love it! Be sure to show us some pics of your cooks!

Top Bottom