Welcome to the NEW music thread

Ozric

My apologies for hijacking the contest thread. Didn't mean to. Just frickin' LOVE music (in addition to smoked meat :D)!

To provide a bit of continuity...

To be clear on that wonderful night at the Plugged Nickel...

I had NO idea of who was playing, or what type of music they were playing. I had gotten hooked on delta blues when I was 11 (I was always sneaking out and taking the bus down to Gaslight Square in St. Louis to listen to the live blues (sitting OUTSIDE of the clubs on benches :()). A couple of years later, after moving to Wisconsin, I came across Chicago blues.

The blues were my secret, something I could never talk about at home. Daddy was a conservative country preacher who tried to beat the love of Jesus into me (and failed; sorry if that offends you). Mama (dear woman) was the church organist. So, I grew up on church music. But I was a rebel, even in childhood. I used to hang outside of the Southern Baptist church down the road and listen to them sing. Wowzers, was that some awesome gospel singing. I compared that to what I was living with basically 24/7 and realized that there was an entire other world out there, one I didn't know much about, but one that I was damn sure going to learn about.

Well, it wasn't just one other world, it was the indescribable number of realities that I came across that blew me away as a child. The only way I could transcend those realities, and make them all my own, was through music...music made me FEEL. Different music made me feel differently. No words necessary.

I started piano lessons when I was 5. At 10, I started studies under the soloist for the St. Louis Philharmonic (1961). So, 100% classical there.

NOTE: To be complete, I must admit to having access to some wonderful music from the late 30s and early 40s. This was back in the day of bound 78 rpm disks, where each side gave you 10-12 minutes of mono music. Symphonies and operas and the like took many disks, which were bound book-like, with sleeves for each disk (Smyth Sewn probably). Well, my parents had a collection; can't imagine where it came from, because they never bought ANY music. Buried in that collection were a couple of 78 rpm albums of 30s and 40s pop tunes, so I KNEW that what I was being told wasn't the whole story.

So, I get to St. Louis from central Texas, and learn of delta blues. OK, that got me hook, line and sinker. Three years later, after a move to Wisconsin, I learn Chicago blues. Wow! From Mississippi John Hurt to Buddy Guy in one fell swoop. But not leaving one behind for the other. Just adding to the inventory!

Now, it's a couple of years later. I'm in Chicago for Christmas 1965. I want to hear some Chicago blues. So I snuck out. Took the train downtown and went to Old Town on Wells, looking for some blues.

That's the incredible point. I was 14 years old. I was looking for blues. I had never heard the word jazz (one of the downsides of a "protected" childhood), much less any of the names of the current performers. So I slide into this place called the Plugged Nickel, expecting to hear some Chicago blues. Nope. Just a bunch of guys I'd never heard of before, playing music unlike anything I'd ever heard before.

I'll take some photos of my music collection and post them. That'll give you an idea of just how life-changing that night was.

I can't imagine being deaf. The loss of music would be like the loss of life.

Saxguy

McCoy Tyner sometimes plays around here, not at my house - but don't think I've tried.

When I built my house I had one of the closets reconfigured to a 13x26 listening room. Needless to say my wife wasn't thrilled. I went through many systems until a friend of mine dragged over a bunch of equipment and told me he was tired of seeing me spend so much money on experimenting with systems. I now have an Aerial/Theta system that, honestly, has stopped me from wanting to upgrade anymore.

My piano is a story within itself. When I originally went to look for pianos it was because a relatively local shop has received a Bosendorfer 225 with some cosmetic damage and they were selling it at a good price. By the time I got to the shop it was sold. I "settled" on a CS214 that was played and signed by Tori Amos. My house at that point wasn't finished yet, so the piano company was keeping it for me. Another customer came in and really wanted it. They made me an offer to buy it from me plus gave me a bit more. I leveraged that against a new 225. When the 225 came in a dentist I know saw it in the shop and really wanted it (he had no idea it was my piano). This time when the call came in asking me if I would be willing to let him have it. At this point I told the shop owner that I would let him have it only if they could get me an Imperial at a certain price. I was immediately told that there was no way they could sell it to me for the price I was asking. I told them that I would have to start looking at shops in Manhattan for a piano. A few days later I got a call to let me know that I could have the Imperial at the price I wanted - but I could never tell anyone what I paid. Now it's sitting in my Conservatory:

pianoside1.jpg

piano3small.jpg

front1.jpg

We have concerts in my home for groups of 50-60 people. Thus far it has been concert pianists doing runthroughs of their programs in preparation for playing at Carnegie Hall. We've also had a few independent artists play. I'm still trying to get a jazz pianist to come by.

I started playing saxophone at age 5. Went through high school in various school bands but didn't get serious until I was in college where I started a band with a few friends of mine. Over the next 11 years we headlined various Manhattan clubs including The Bitter End and had an opportunity to play at Gracie Mansion. I still play in the house, but don't have the time to do anything really organized at this point.

Ozric

Making the jump from a 225 to a 290? Big jump, dude! What a spectacular instrument. You know, it's funny. I was always pronouncing it "Bösendorfer" in my head even though you were spelling it Bosendorfer instead of Boesondorfer. Now how the hell did I remember that from 40-50 years ago?

Question: Are the extra keys in the bass clef or the treble clef, or both? You know I'm looking for some extra low end, right? lol

Just found out that Yamaha now owns Bösendorfer. How's that for synchronicity?

It's GREAT to be alive!

Top Bottom