What to do...

jettman96

First, I have never cooked a Brisket. So, I have a bit of a challenge. I get half a cow every year. The problem is that it is typically a smaller cow which I prefer because the steaks are more reasonably sized. But this leaves me with some very small Briskets. they are basically about 1 1/2 lbs. How would you cook them?

Thanks,
Jett

TrickyDick

That seems very odd to me. Are they using the brisket for grinding into burgers or something, and why are there two if you're getting half the cow? What is the hanging weight do you know?

I think there is at least one butcher on the forum, I think his handle is MeatMan. Might ask him.

That said, I'd imagine you'd cook the same as any other brisket, but expect it to take less time given much smaller size.

TD

jettman96

I don't know the hanging weight but I know the cows are considerably smaller than "commercial" cattle. A lot of the steaks are half of what you find at the grocery store. (which is great for portion control in my opinion) We typically get about 250lbs of beef altogether and and has run us between $2.30 and $2.45 per pound (including butcher costs).

I never cooked the Brisket from the previous cow so, I currently have 4 pieces. two very flat pieces weighing in at about 1 lb and two larger pieces that probably weigh about 2 lbs each. So, I'm kind of wondering if I have two "flats" and two other pieces of the Brisket.

I did ask for a lot of Ground Beef so it is possible that they used some of the Brisket. All of the other cuts look great, so I have no reason suspect the butcher of wrong doing. I'm just not really familiar with Brisket cuts.

Top Bottom