Wild boar?

SmokinSaluki

I have two wild boar shoulders in the freezer (free!:))

Does anybody have any pointers to get the best quality out of them?
Smoke at the same temp and to the same internal temp as "normal" shoulders?

Are they more lean than store bought? Any other differences to worry about?

scooter

I would count on wild boar being more lean than store bought pork which is fairly lean itself compared to the other breads of hog (not readily available in supermarkets) that have not had most of the fat bred out of them.

ACW3

I have cooked a boar shoulder. Treat it just like a regular pork shoulder. I smoke until the IT is around 150, then I put it in an aluminum pan, add something like Stubb's pork marinade, cover tightly and into the oven or back on the grill until the IT is around 205. You will enjoy it!!

Art

TrickyDick

hey be sure to let us know how it turns out. I have a connection for getting wild boar, but haven't pulled that trigger yet. I'm interested to try some.

TD

SmokinSaluki

Thanks for the information. I don't know when I will get the time to smoke them but I will post the results when I finally get the time. The Yoder has been covered since late November : (

SmokinSaluki

Finally got around to doing this. I got a 3rd shoulder and also smoked a store bought butt for someone else. I pulled all of them and we plan on reheating on a boat grill for the 4th of July festivities:

Early in the smoke

Ready to foil at 150:

I made a mistake of foiling for a shorter time and pulling back out to try and improve the crust while also speeding through the stall. I pulled them back out of foil at about 180. I also added a small deer roast and asparagus to eat for dinner.

Pulled them at 205. I was short one thermometer and of course, the shoulder with the missing thermometer came out dry. I think it was too done but I was too tired to check it out and didn't want to wait longer if it was too low. The entire smoke was nearly 11 hours due to my pulling from foil earlier than usual.

We plan on using a buddies pontoon grill to reheat while we will be out on this:

I used a different rub on each including magic dust, desert gold, money and happy ending. I will bring 17th street sauce as well as one or two others so everyone can choose what they want.

TentHunter

WOWZERS...

Looks like you'll be having a fun and tasty day on the water. Those shoulders look incredible. Making me hungry!

Top Bottom